Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 5 Gallon Whiskey Soaked Barrels now available!  (Read 20785 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: 5 Gallon Whiskey Soaked Barrels now available!
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 02:29:53 pm »
Well if it was $50/each with shipping then yeah, that's an immense mark up.

Depending on volume, a 100% markup is not all that unusual for a small retail shop.  Just looking at the Morebeer site, they sell domestic 2-row for $1.29/lb.  X 50 = $64.50.  If they get the same price as I get from Country Malt group, they are paying less than $25 for a sack.

and I'm guessing they get a slightly better price than you do. I figure morebeer is likely ordering 100X what you do, if not 1000X.

I never intended to imply these guys were being in anyway unfair or dishonest. They have to get a profit out of it. 200% or even 300% markup is not unusual in a retail setting.

LOL, you are right.  I would guess they spill more grain in the milling process, than I actually get into the mashtun. 

Offline thatgeekguy

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 11:43:19 am »
morticaixavier,

How many barrels to a pallet? I might try to organize a group buy for some of the local clubs here.

I honestly don't remember exactly. it was around 20 I believe. Balcones, at least at the time was sending them with a stand.

Thanks, I dropped them a line and am waiting to hear back.
I'm only here for the beer....

Offline thatgeekguy

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 11:20:31 am »
Nice people at Balcones, quick response to my questions. Will be putting in a club order for about three dozen at a great price, and drive up to pick them up when they're ready.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 11:31:06 am »
Nice people at Balcones, quick response to my questions. Will be putting in a club order for about three dozen at a great price, and drive up to pick them up when they're ready.

cool! enjoy. I got one of the Rumble barrels and did a couple really nice barley/wheat wines in it. I also did a pretty low alcohol rye stout in it for a few weeks and that turned out amazing. Mine is now a sour barrel.

Overall I think I ran 3 batches through mine clean and then put the sour beer in and started a solera project. works out to < 20 bucks a batch if you don't count the solera.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline resto3

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 01:59:52 am »
Contact details for Balcones??  Much thanks!!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 08:27:09 am »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline thatgeekguy

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 11:49:21 am »
Contact details for Balcones??  Much thanks!!

I had sent a PM to Balcones via their Facebook page and got an answer back within moments from the founder/owner. he directed me to contact his warehouse manager who handles the barrel sales. His name is Jared, jaredhimstedt@balconesdistilling.com

Minimum purchase of a pallet of 27 barrels, you're in charge of arranging your own shipping which can be pricey depending on where you are. I'm close enough to drive up and get them myself. They don't always have barrels available, could take 2 - 3 weeks and they need payment in advance if you want them to reserve them for you.

Offline resto3

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2013, 10:52:13 am »
Are any other sizes availabe?  I would consider a 15 gallon or larger around February 2014. 

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2013, 12:37:58 pm »
I think Balcones only does five gallon barrels but other distillers sell 8-15 gallon barrels.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline homebrewing

• 1st Kit
    • HomeBrewing.com
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2015, 10:35:28 am »
Our barrels are back in stock and we are having a Black Barrel Friday sale - $99 - www.barrels.cc
Christian Lavender - www.HomeBrewing.com

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2015, 11:57:54 am »
i just bought one, I already have one that I bought, it has put out a hell of a bourbon barrel RIS, now has a robust porter in it....I love these barrels

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903