Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boil ph...  (Read 5167 times)

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
Re: Boil ph...
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2015, 03:58:51 pm »
No, it's only correcting for error in electrical response of the probe at temperatures other than the reference temperature.  This ensures that the reading is accurate at any temperature.  It does not correct for the fact the pH actually changes as temperature changes due to increased H+ ion dissociation.. 

+100

OK, pardon my confusion with this topic.  I have the Milwaukee 102.  Say I have a sample that measures pH at 5.6 and the sample is at 90F.  Is that the same as it would be at 68f? (due to the temperature correction feature?)

In short no, the ATC is not compesating for differences in ph based on difference in temperature. You need to measure a room temp sample, the ph will be different at 90* than at 75*.

I just read over this the other night. This is a paragraph from the Water Knwolege page in Bru'n Water:

"Brewers should note that Automatic Temperature Compensating (ATC) pH meters only compensate for the response of the pH meter's electrode at varying temperature.  That feature does not compensate for the actual pH shift produced chemically in the mash as mentioned above.  All mash pH measurement should be performed at room-temperature. Another consideration is that most pH probes use a thin glass bulb that will be subjected to more thermal stress when inserted into a hot mash and the probe is more likely to fail prematurely. Therefore, ATC-equipped pH meters are not necessary for brewing use since it is important to cool the sample to room temperature to avoid the chemical mash pH variation and damage to the pH probe."

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2015, 04:53:35 pm »
Well son of a b****....this forum is good for something after all. Thanks!!!
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2015, 05:20:45 pm »

Yes, yes it is...I have learned a lot since joining. Lots of good people here to share their experience. I had something finally explained to me the other night. I have been reading my mash ph wrong for longer than I care to admit because I interpreted something the wrong way.  These guys helped straighten that out.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2015, 05:21:37 pm »

Yes, yes it is...I have learned a lot since joining. Lots of good people here to share their experience. I had something finally explained to me the other night. I have been reading my mash ph wrong for longer than I care to admit because I interpreted something the wrong way.  These guys helped straighten that out.

And that right there is why this forum is great! 

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 05:28:40 pm »
I have been reading my mash ph wrong for longer than I care to admit because I interpreted something the wrong way.

To be fair... I found at least two mentions in brewing literature where ATC was reported to correct for any temperature. So be skeptical always! :) Took a lot of practical research and some lectures from Martin for that lesson to sink in.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2015, 06:08:08 pm »
I have also seen oh meters with ATC for sale from online suppliers indicating the ATC does exactly what it doesnt...also indicating its safe to take readings well over 100*. It way work but its not a practice to recomend.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2015, 09:54:53 am »
Actually I just read the manual/specs and it does automatically adjust the ph for temp up to 158f
This is easy enough to test that you should do it.  I don't stick my meter in the uncooled mash after reading about the negative impact it has on the life of the probe. 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yes. Please, it hurts my chemist heart to see people putting non-analytical grade ion selective electrodes in hot mash to measure pH.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2015, 03:49:30 pm »
Yes. Please, it hurts my chemist heart to see people putting non-analytical grade ion selective electrodes in hot mash to measure pH.

I should seriously steal that for my forum signature.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<