Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop tea to lower FG??  (Read 3237 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Hop tea to lower FG??
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 01:04:43 pm »
I don't think I've ever located any.  Hopshot needs to be added to the boil.

Denny, where are you finding isomerized extract?

Morebeer in the past, but it looks like it's been discontinued.  Also from YCH Hops, but I don't know if that's generally available to homebrewers.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 01:12:35 pm »
And so we come back to ways to make a hop tea...

On the last batch I wanted to do this, I decided to add bourbon and oak to one keg and coffee to another.  You'd never know they were under-hopped.

I think there was another similar thread (not hoppy enough) where the brewer (I can't recall who, but he's one of the Canadian guys) just added a six pack of extra hoppy IPA to his keg.  That seemed to work for him.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 08:40:12 am »
I had the opposite problem with a brew.

I didn't put quite enough hops into a porter to balance the malt, and it was a bit sweeter than I preferred. Since I prefer  malt forward beers vs hoppy beers and like coffee, I brewed coffee with room temperature water and let it set for two days before adding to the bottling bucket.  It tasted good at bottling.

I relearned two truisms:  less is often more: and the only thing worse than one bottle you dislike the taste of, it's having 49 more bottles of the same.

Actually if you let it get to about 55 F, it does taste better.

Maybe I need to chill my sample from the fermenter to the temp I drink before testing the amount of anything I might consider adding to the batch.

It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline ejf063

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2015, 12:34:54 pm »
Welp..... I took a gallon of distilled water, added 1/2 tsp of Gypsum, put 1 oz of Simcoe in the bag and raised the temp to 180*. added another oz of Amarillo at that point.... let that steep and allowed the temp to drop to about 170* and added one oz each of Simcoe and Amarillo. I let that steep for a while.
Then.... I got scared. Really scared. I kept thinking about the poster who told me it would make him nervous to put in the tea without some sort of acid... and afraid of the astringency. So... I poured just under a half of the tea into my keg and let her rip.
Its carbing now.... there should be a little carbonic bite after it sets up for the next two weeks. Anyway... its definitely a barleywine. A real young barleywine.I like barleywine so i'm not too upset about it. I just hope the tea didn't screw things up.... I did take a gravity reading and it only feel like .001 point.
Its beer!