Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: STC-1000 in Small Batch E-brew Setup  (Read 4357 times)

RPIScotty

Re: STC-1000 in Small Batch E-brew Setup
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 07:15:37 am »

I've been using my "$50 Mini eHerms" Set up for the past couple of years.  Works like a champ and does exactly what I need it to do.  It has a bit of trouble keeping temp during the winter months but, I can't expect much more out of a 1000w burner -

How about some specs on that brewing system? Looks really nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline PutnamBrewer

• 1st Kit
  • CT Homebrewer
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 10:07:05 am »
The shiny Keg is the HLT and the pot is the boil kettle.  We rotate it off the burner depending on whats happening.  The keggle on the lower shelf is the mash tun with a false bottom recirculated through the mini-eHerms which contains a hot plate controlled by the STC-1000 which heats the HEX pot and coil.  Works great for 5 and 10 gallon batches to keep the temp regulated during the mash.  We're going to insulate the mash tun because the SS just does not hold temp well, especially during the winter months.

I have a HotRod Heat stick that i'm going to use in a bigger pot since it's a 2000w heating element and it'll help with temps a whole lot quicker.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 05:06:43 am »
Can the STC-1000 handle that wattage? Or are you rigging up a relay system? I think a STC-1000 is rated for 10 amps, which a 2000W draw will overload.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline PutnamBrewer

• 1st Kit
  • CT Homebrewer
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 08:26:02 am »
Can the STC-1000 handle that wattage? Or are you rigging up a relay system? I think a STC-1000 is rated for 10 amps, which a 2000W draw will overload.

You are correct, the STC-1000 will not be able to handle the wattage so I'll be moving to a PID controller with relay to be able to handle the amps.  I saw a controller on Amazon that suits my needs and will do what I want it to do with the HeatStick. I'll probably use the STC-1000 for either my kegerator again or sous vide.