Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sanitizer Comparison  (Read 12847 times)

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
Re: Sanitizer Comparison
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2015, 09:39:47 am »
I only have one data point but I am against adding ascorbic acid to beer (at least finished beer). I tried it as a way to stave off oxidation in a bottled IPA and did not like the results. It gave a "twang" to the beer that was quite off-putting.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
Sanitizer Comparison
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2015, 08:10:57 am »
I have been brewing for only a couple years now with no infections to speak of. In my humble opinion I wonder if a lot of this stuff is overblown so these companies can sell more product. I wonder if a little hot water and soap with a good rinse would be adequate but since I started I've read and been told sanitize everything that touches your beer so i just do it. So starsan has another customer. I figure I put too much work into a batch to risk it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 08:13:50 am by jimmykx250 »
Jimmykx250

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Sanitizer Comparison
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2015, 10:35:28 am »
I have been brewing for only a couple years now with no infections to speak of. In my humble opinion I wonder if a lot of this stuff is overblown so these companies can sell more product. I wonder if a little hot water and soap with a good rinse would be adequate but since I started I've read and been told sanitize everything that touches your beer so i just do it. So starsan has another customer. I figure I put too much work into a batch to risk it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/quote

You can probably get away for a while with just cleaning and not sanitizing.  But eventually it will catch you.  Even those who sanitize sometimes end up with contamination and infection.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell