Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Scottish ale question  (Read 3324 times)

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Scottish ale question
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 08:30:20 am »
Steve, a gallon of wort does take a while to boil down. I only started with a half gallon and it took about 20 or 30 minutes. While the wort does give you some indication of its status, I do like using my RT600C thermometer to monitor the wort temperature closely at the end. I think the temperature target is actually like 320F (I'm apparently dyslexic based on my post above) and it would be a shame to burn it needlessly. The temperature does shoot up pretty quickly at the end, so the monitoring is necessary to avoid scorching.   
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 09:40:19 am »
This is my second attempt at brewing a Scottish ale.  I am currently boiling a gallon of first runnings, intending to reduce it to a pint or so, so that I can get some actual carmelization. 

My question is, is there an issue with adding back the amount that is boiled off to the main boil kettle so that my volumes would be equal to what I would have if I didn't reduce the gallon of first runnings?  I would be adding RO water.

A Scotch ale or a Scottish ale?  IMO the boildown is appropriate for one but not the other.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 09:48:29 am »
A Scotch ale or a Scottish ale?  IMO the boildown is appropriate for one but not the other.

Which one?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 09:50:06 am »
Can you define what the difference is Denny? Are you differentiating based on strength alone?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 10:09:08 am »
A Scotch ale has much more body and intensity of flavor than a Scottish ale.  That means that a boil down works well for a Scotch but may take a Scottish out of style.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2015, 12:08:12 pm »
A Scotch ale has much more body and intensity of flavor than a Scottish ale.  That means that a boil down works well for a Scotch but may take a Scottish out of style.

I'll have to disagree. For an additional malt intensity and caramel flavor, I find that its OK to include for a small scottish. I'm not sure that a big Scotch really needs the caramelization since there is so much already going on from the high malt content. But, I think its OK in either style.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2015, 01:22:45 pm »
This one doesn't fit neatly.  At 1.060, it is North of a 80/-, but not quite to a Strong Scotch ale.

I thought that the reduction would be good regardless.  New info!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2015, 01:31:45 pm »

I'll have to disagree. For an additional malt intensity and caramel flavor, I find that its OK to include for a small scottish. I'm not sure that a big Scotch really needs the caramelization since there is so much already going on from the high malt content. But, I think its OK in either style.

Disagreement welcome!  But I'll disagree that a wee heavy doesn't need it.  My experience is that it makes a huge difference for the style.

www.dennybrew.com