Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to get that "Enjoy By" hop strength while homebrewing?  (Read 3263 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: How to get that "Enjoy By" hop strength while homebrewing?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 11:38:43 am »
I have used my hop rocket filled with hops as a "torpedo" to increase the aroma in a kegged beer. You purge the lines and hop rocket with CO2, then push the beer through the hop rocket into the purged receiving keg. Then you can switch the fittings, and push back into the first keg. Taste the beer, if you want more hoppy goodness, repeat the procedure.

Yum.  That sounds like a good way to introduce some nice fresh hop oils into the finished product.  Does it ruin the clarity at all with small hop debris?
Some haze is introduced, but yeast seems to be filtered out through the bed of whole cone hops. If you store it cold the hop poly phenols drop out, and you are left with a clear and tasty beer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 03:18:55 pm »
I have not brewed this, but here is a clone from a blogger I like.  He gives some dry hopping tips:

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2015/01/enjoy-by-122514-and-some-dry-hopping.html

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 03:38:53 pm »
I have not brewed this, but here is a clone from a blogger I like.  He gives some dry hopping tips:

Good site, especially for hop focused beers.
Jon H.

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 08:51:46 pm »

Good site, especially for hop focused beers.

Yes, definitely.  His dry hop procedure really improved my hoppy beers:

I've found a use for this practice though with multi-stage dry hops. Lately I've been adding the first dose in the primary while there is still a fair amount of yeast activity. This ensures the pellets will mix thoroughly, and any O2 in the pellets will be scavenged by the yeast. I'll then rack to a CO2-purged keg, and dry hop the second dose there. Finally the beer is racked to a clean keg for serving. This might sound like a lot of work, but I find that it best replicates the typical commercial brewer's use of a conical.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 10:13:00 pm »
One thing not mentioned here is pH and mineral composition of your water.  A bit of sulfate in your water will make the hops pop. Too much and they will taste harsh and unpleasant.  Not enough, and you won't be able to find them.  Likewise, hop forward beers benefit from moderately lower pH, low enough to make the beer taste clean and refreshing as opposed to heavy and dull.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 06:29:41 pm »
Definitely an important factor.  I started using Tasty's water profile for anything hoppy and it also really helped. 

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 06:44:16 pm »
Big +1 to McDole's profile. It's very similar to Martin's Pale Ale in Brun'water. I do find that I need to modify his profile a bit for Janet's brown or the pH is a bit low for me.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2015, 06:50:02 pm »
Big +1 to McDole's profile. It's very similar to Martin's Pale Ale in Brun'water. I do find that I need to modify his profile a bit for Janet's brown or the pH is a bit low for me.

I always bump the profile for Janet's Brown to get a tad higher pH, too.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 06:52:06 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.