Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Roasted Grains: Full Mash vs. Capped At Vorlauf | exBEERiment Results!  (Read 23754 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Roasted Grains: Full Mash vs. Capped At Vorlauf | exBEERiment Results!
« Reply #135 on: December 04, 2015, 06:14:23 pm »
Marshall - I have no problem with anyone who can seek to earn a living doing what they enjoy - indeed, that might be the ideal most people strive for in life.  I enjoy some, and maybe most of what I do for a living, but I really enjoy homebrewing and all that goes with it. 

In short - Don't let anyone deter you in your pursuits.  I don't think there is any diminishment of value in what you guys publish/say/do, just because you happen to cover a portion of your costs or even make a profit while doing your homebrewing and providing information to others.  I find great value in your commentary.  Please keep it up.

But, man, that is a long work day you have....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #136 on: December 04, 2015, 06:21:32 pm »
Daughter dating soon? This makes me happy I never had kids... not sure how I would handle that. I used to pastor a youth group of 15, 15 year old's - worlds best and most frightening prophylactic. Now seeing my 16 year old nephew once a year is more than enough! Good luck dude.

All good, man. She's 14, so it'll be too soon regardless, right ?.  It'll be fine.....until it isn't.  ;)
Jon H.

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2015, 06:33:19 pm »

Marshall - I have no problem with anyone who can seek to earn a living doing what they enjoy - indeed, that might be the ideal most people strive for in life.  I enjoy some, and maybe most of what I do for a living, but I really enjoy homebrewing and all that goes with it. 

In short - Don't let anyone deter you in your pursuits.  I don't think there is any diminishment of value in what you guys publish/say/do, just because you happen to cover a portion of your costs or even make a profit while doing your homebrewing and providing information to others.  I find great value in your commentary.  Please keep it up.

Thanks, I've no plans to stop anytime soon!

I only work 4 days a week, the extra day off is more than worth the extra 2 hours.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #138 on: December 04, 2015, 07:29:42 pm »

I only work 4 days a week, the extra day off is more than worth the extra 2 hours.
4 10s here, love it!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #139 on: December 05, 2015, 06:39:36 am »

4 10s here, love it!
I used to do 3-4 13's on a rotating schedule, but I was on my feet the whole time with no breaks. As much as I miss the extra weekdays off, I'm perfectly happy with the 7-3:30 gig I have now.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #140 on: December 05, 2015, 08:48:50 am »
I do have it in the back of my mind to try and make a Fuggle beer that surprises Denny, but he might revolt worse than he did with the Chowdah or White Stout recipes.

I've actually hd a couple Fuggle beers I really like.  But it was with Fuggles grown at a hop farm down the road from me, not English Fuggles.  Tasted coletely different.  That has me thinking about terrior in relation to hops.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #141 on: December 05, 2015, 09:22:21 am »
Could also be climate. I've grown Cascade for the last 3 years in my back garden in the UK and they've been consistently flavourless.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #142 on: December 05, 2015, 09:35:46 am »
Could also be climate. I've grown Cascade for the last 3 years in my back garden in the UK and they've been consistently flavourless.

Yep, although I consider that to be part of terrior.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #143 on: December 05, 2015, 10:01:30 am »
I do have it in the back of my mind to try and make a Fuggle beer that surprises Denny, but he might revolt worse than he did with the Chowdah or White Stout recipes.

I've actually hd a couple Fuggle beers I really like.  But it was with Fuggles grown at a hop farm down the road from me, not English Fuggles.  Tasted coletely different.  That has me thinking about terrior in relation to hops.

So were those Willamette then, Denny ? Or actual Fuggles grown here?
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #144 on: December 05, 2015, 10:18:40 am »

Actual Fuggles gown here.  They almost had Cascade like qualities to them.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #145 on: December 05, 2015, 10:26:48 am »

Wow, that would be the Fuggles I'd like then. I guess the terroir partly explains why hop varieties can vary so much from year to year, vendor to vendor.
Jon H.

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #146 on: December 05, 2015, 03:38:09 pm »
I love domestic Fuggles, they are different imo than UK Fuggles, which I also really enjoy.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #147 on: December 05, 2015, 05:35:19 pm »

Wow, that would be the Fuggles I'd like then. I guess the terroir partly explains why hop varieties can vary so much from year to year, vendor to vendor.
Or from farm to farm, and field to field on the same farm. Learned that at Hop School.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #148 on: December 06, 2015, 11:31:16 am »
Or from farm to farm, and field to field on the same farm. Learned that at Hop School.

Yep.

www.dennybrew.com