Author Topic: Roasted Grains: Full Mash vs. Capped At Vorlauf | exBEERiment Results!  (Read 10348 times)

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
Re: Roasted Grains: Full Mash vs. Capped At Vorlauf | exBEERiment Results!
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2015, 10:52:41 PM »
My personal opinion is unless you find your beers astringent to forget all the extra steps. That being said I find very few beers are actually astringent today and most people who describe something as astringent don't understand astringency is a sensation, not a flavor. If you taste or smell astringency then you fall into the category of those who don't understand. ;)
This may sound cynical, but I think brewers sometimes think their beer tastes a certain way because of something they've read, even if that character isn't really there. The same way I think judges often misperceive certain flavors/aroma for off-flavors because it's unfamiliar to them (e.g., unique Pils malt character for DMS, UK Caramelt malt for diacetyl, etc). I could be wrong. Or just a dick ;)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • Manty Malters - Meet the Malters! - Dave Taylor
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2015, 01:46:01 AM »
This may sound cynical, but I think brewers sometimes think their beer tastes a certain way because of something they've read, even if that character isn't really there. The same way I think judges often misperceive certain flavors/aroma for off-flavors because it's unfamiliar to them (e.g., unique Pils malt character for DMS, UK Caramelt malt for diacetyl, etc). I could be wrong. Or just a dick ;)

No, I'm the dick.  But you're right, though.  I think Novice or Recognized judges, especially, enjoy applying their newfound knowledge of off-flavors in overly creative ways.  And then some judges never seem to be able to grow out of it.  Unfortunately I've also seen a Master level judge who claimed he could pick up astringency in the aroma.  Uh, no, sorry buddy.... he lost 100% credibility with that one.  I don't care what the hell level somebody thinks he is.... that's just wrong.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2015, 02:05:28 AM »
So...I'm thinking of doing the following mash schedule on my next 5 gal dark beer. I will add the dark grains and 1 tsp of baking soda at the start of sacc2...sacc1 would be my usual water treatment for a pale ale...what do you think?

sacc1                  0     40    145   
sacc2                  0     30    159
mash out             0     10    168
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline dmtaylor

• Manty Malters - Meet the Malters! - Dave Taylor
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2015, 02:55:33 AM »
Too complicated.  Mash the whole thing at 150 F for 40 minutes and call it good.  You can get it up to a boil within about 30 minutes, correct?  Consider that your "mashout".
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline santoch

• Brewmaster
  • North Bend, WA
    • WAHA
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2015, 04:58:08 AM »
I'm with Dave.  Keep it simple.  You won't add anything with that mash schedule except hours to your brewday.
145 is beta favoring but really really slow.  159 is alpha favoring but denatures everything rather quickly.
You will still get favorable beta and alpha amylase activity at 150-ish without the extra time and hassle spent on the 2 rests.

HTH-
Mt. Si Brewing Society
Washington Homebrewer's Association (WAHA)
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2015, 05:15:35 AM »
5.5 -5.6.  Try it sometime !

I plan on it. On the next batch actually.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2015, 09:31:37 AM »
sparge method may also play a part in these results, no?

I capped the mash with midnight wheat for my latest Schwarz, but I fly sparge, which means that they'll be getting 45-55min contact time.  whereas a batch sparger is much less time, perhaps?

just a thought.
That is a good point, Gordon's system is the same as my usual set up, so yes, he fly sparges.

I used to make dark beers that Mrs. R called acrid, "Ash Tray", beers. With measurement and control of pH to 5.5-5.6 for those, that unwanted charactoristic is gone.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Governing Committee
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2015, 12:49:15 PM »
I'm with Dave.  Keep it simple.  You won't add anything with that mash schedule except hours to your brewday.
145 is beta favoring but really really slow.  159 is alpha favoring but denatures everything rather quickly.
You will still get favorable beta and alpha amylase activity at 150-ish without the extra time and hassle spent on the 2 rests.

HTH-

Can confirm on the 145 slowness and the 159 (okay, 158) quickness. I am still surprised how quickly a mash can convert at 150F compared to the same mash at 145F. Will be posting my data when I get some time.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Education Director
BJCP Assistant Education Director
BJCP Master/Mead

Redbird Brewhouse - There's Always a Project
Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2015, 01:33:42 PM »
So for something like black IPA, does a mash pH of 5.5 play well for the hops? I can't remember if a lower mash pH is beneficial for better hop character or not.
I mashed my current black IPA at pH 5.4 according to Bru'n water and it came out wonderfully. Mashed 11oz debittered black malt for the entire 75 minute mash at 150F.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2015, 01:40:16 PM »
So for something like black IPA, does a mash pH of 5.5 play well for the hops? I can't remember if a lower mash pH is beneficial for better hop character or not.
I mashed my current black IPA at pH 5.4 according to Bru'n water and it came out wonderfully. Mashed 11oz debittered black malt for the entire 75 minute mash at 150F.

I don't expect that moving the pH to 5.5 for a hop-focused beer would be beneficial. The hops tend to get rough above 5.4. The other consideration is that black IPA seems to be only lightly focused on roast flavors and I don't think you can enhance them much.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2015, 01:46:57 PM »
The other consideration is that black IPA seems to be only lightly focused on roast flavors and I don't think you can enhance them much.

+1.  Something like Midnight Wheat has little to no roast to make acrid with lower pH in the first place.
Jon H.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2015, 03:00:47 PM »

I don't expect that moving the pH to 5.5 for a hop-focused beer would be beneficial. The hops tend to get rough above 5.4. The other consideration is that black IPA seems to be only lightly focused on roast flavors and I don't think you can enhance them much.

I'm curious to how the mash ph effects the hops which are in the boil? Is it depending on how the mash ph carries over to effect the boil bph?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2015, 04:55:19 PM »
My personal opinion is unless you find your beers astringent to forget all the extra steps. That being said I find very few beers are actually astringent today and most people who describe something as astringent don't understand astringency is a sensation, not a flavor. If you taste or smell astringency then you fall into the category of those who don't understand. ;)

THIS^^^^
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2015, 04:56:34 PM »
If you think your beers improved, that's really what matters most.  I don't think you necessarily need to do a side-by-side to determine that.

Uh, yes you do...if you really want to know and not just guess.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2015, 04:57:07 PM »

You are neither wrong nor a dick.  You're right on the money.

www.dennybrew.com