Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vanila Amber Ale  (Read 2506 times)

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
Vanila Amber Ale
« on: November 30, 2015, 08:45:52 am »
So I finally got a chance to brew yesterday and because I didn't have the right supplies yet to do my black saison I came up with this.

Vanilla Amber Ale
Grains:
- 8lbs Irish Ale Malt
- 1lb CaraAmber
- 1oz Carafa III special
Hops:
-Nugget and Willamette aiming for 15-18 IBU
Yeast:
-WLP008 East Coast Ale
Secondary:
-3 Vanilla beans added to fermenter for 1 to 2 weeks
Stats:
OG: 1.048
FG: 1.013
IBU: 17.3
SRM: 15.4
ABV:4.4%

I was going to add less CaraAmber but without thinking tossed the whole pound into the mill. The Nugget and Willamette Hops are homegrown stored for about two months. I used averages for AA% and somewhat accounted for storage loss. I plan on splitting the beans emptying the inside, and chopping them into small pieces and adding them. What do you guys think? Any feedback would be awesome and appreciated. I already brewed it so I will definitely post an update.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Vanila Amber Ale
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 08:58:52 am »
I have only used extract and not the beans before on one instance, so I'm not the one to answer technical questions.

I think you have to be careful though. An amber ale has a fairly delicate flavor (especially at 4.4%) and I would be afraid of a vanilla bomb.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 09:47:51 am by curtism1234 »

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 09:17:10 am »
I have thought about this some but from what I have read whole vanilla beans added to the secondary produce a more subtle vanilla flavor than using extract. I am going to taste test the beer to make sure I get the right flavor but vanilla can quickly disappear with age also. Could you share your experience with extract as far as how it turned out and what you used it in.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 10:15:06 am »
Could you share your experience with extract as far as how it turned out and what you used it in.

It was the 2nd beer I ever made and wasn't the best, oddly enough an amber. I split the batch and used 1/2 of this for one gallon:
http://www.amazon.com/LorAnn-Oils-Super-Strength-Cheesecake-Flavouring/dp/B0000VLRII/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1448902153&sr=8-2&keywords=cheesecake+extract

Lorann is on a lot of the homebrew supply websites
As I recall there was not a lot of flavor from it despite me using more than was recommended in my research. I didn't know what I was doing and have not tried it since. I yield the floor

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 07:40:40 am »
Interesting I will definitely provide an update of how this turned out. I think I am just going to use 1 vanilla bean instead of three and probably give it a week and see how it tastes.
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 11:23:42 am »
When I use beans, I split them and put them in the fermenter.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 06:41:55 pm »
@ JJeffers how many and how long do you leave them in the fermenter. Also what beers have you used them in.
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 04:41:36 pm »
Robust porter, Doppel, Dark Holiday Ale, Cream Stout, Cream Ale, Vienna Lager (awful don't try it), and an American Strong Wheat

Darker the beer the longer I leave it on the beer.  Doppel Porter and Stout 10-18 days, Best was 10 days in secondary. Cream Ale, Lager, and Holiday Ales 7-10 days, I prefer 8 days.  I also used them in a secondary, I just brought water (1 cup) to boil then killed the heat, tossed in the split beans, and then pitched it in the bottom of the 2ndary and racked on top of it. I treat them like a dry hop.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 07:14:12 pm »
Awesome thank you for sharing your experiences. I will probably will try the same method you have presented and will share my experience.
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 05:22:49 pm »
Well after giving it time to carb up in the keg, it is finally ready. I sampled some today, poured into a glass similar to a stange and it had a small white head that persisted with minimal lacing. Smelled great kind of like an oaky vanilla aroma but well balanced with hops and maltiness. Taste was a malty sweet taste with an after taste of vanilla but very light. Overall one of my favorite beers I have brewed, girlfriend loved it, my mom who doesn't prefer beer even liked it. I think it definitely needs some tweaking but overall I am pretty happy with the results.
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 01:48:14 pm »
Your opinion is the only one that matters, well done!

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 09:38:17 am »
Just an update its been about two weeks since finishing this beer and it is going quick. I have been bringing growlers and bottles to family and friends and they love it. Even my relatives who don't like beer loved this beer and are asking for more. The vanilla is still very present to my surprise as I thought it would fade sooner. I am going to brew this again but I want to make a few changes. I will probably sub about half of the CaraAmber for something to add a little more complexity. Any suggestions??? I will probably change the hop schedule because the original recipe used my homegrown hops which I am out of. I will probably stick with Willamette(love using this hop). Overall loved this recipe and
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout