Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian Dubbel / American Double  (Read 1850 times)

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
    • My new Brewing Website - Totally Brewed Co
Belgian Dubbel / American Double
« on: December 28, 2015, 11:42:08 am »
First off, let me say that I am a partial mash brewer.  I had gotten my hands on some apple syrup (made from 100% apples) from a local orchard and after posting on another forum, the consensus was for me to use it in a Belgian Dubbel.  After looking up others peoples recipes and suggestions, I decided to make it with
Special B Malt
Munich Malt
Candi Sugar
Pale Malt Extract
Amber Malt Extract
and I used the apple syrup at flame out.
I used Cascade hops and I used safbrew abbaye dry yeast

I submitted this to a competition and I sent it in too early.  The beer was not really ready for the competition (lesson learned).  I was wondering if you were to submit this to a competition, what category would you put it in?  I do not like to toot my own horn but this came out fantastic.  It tastes like a dubbel but has an apple finish to it.  It has now been in bottles almost 2 months and keeps getting better.  I do not have much of it left because my friends think its the 2nd best beer I've brewed.   I called it an American Double because of the apples and cascade hops.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Belgian Dubbel / American Double
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 11:51:24 am »
Belgian Specialty Ale? 16E on the BJCP style guidelines, its a catch all but it is a fruit version of a Dubbel so, yeah doesn't fit the traditional dubbel for the dried fruit flavor, like raisin flavors, if it has a strong fruity sweet apple flavor.  I mean a dried apple flavor you may go for the Belgian dubbel.  Also your yeast choice I don't know would go for anything American because of the unmistakable Trappist Ale characters.  But I agree the cascade probably makes it tough to place.  How bitter is it?
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 12:04:34 pm »
it is not bitter at all, I used just enough hops to get it to come through.   I think I will try it in the specialty category the next time.  It definitely has a slight hint of cascade and raisin when you smell it. Tastes like a dubbel but has a slight apple finish to it.  It was completely experimental when I tried it and very glad I did.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 12:10:45 pm »
Then yeah I would put it in as Belgian Specialty Ale.  It would not be too bitter that it wouldn't fit. 

I would only assume if the cascade came through like an IPA everything else would be lost and would not do so well in that category.  And that would most likely be the comment left with. 

My next question, how hard was it to get your hands on that apple syrup?  Cause now I am thinking about a 1gal xbmt
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 12:37:45 pm »
my local apple orchard just started making it this year and they do not have any left.  It was expensive too but soooooo worth it. It was fantastic on waffles or french toast but tastes great in the beer.  They said if I need more, they'll put me on a list for next year but they wont give me a recipe (its just apples but how long to cook them and what temp is what I was curious about)

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 12:45:37 pm »
also, when i submit it to a competition should I title it Belgian Dubbel with Apple Syrup ?  or something else?

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 12:46:45 pm »
I would think the apple syrup would also go well in a witbier and a belgian blond or belgian golden strong ale.  If the fruit comes through well, then you could also try to put it in the fruit beer category - Belgian dubbel base with apples.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 01:19:08 pm »
I made my own apple syrup by boiling a gallon of pressed juice down to about a pint of liquid, although you could probably go down a bit further. I was using it to boost the OG on a cider I was brewing. I then proceeded to mop up every drop in the pan with marshmallows. It is addictive stuff, and easy enough to make on your own (although time consuming).
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 05:31:06 pm »
I am going to try my own. I found out that it is just tart cider boiled down to a thick syrup.  So I would imagine that it would be medium heat so the sugars don't burn but it simmers to a thick molasses like texture. and or Stroop

AHA Member

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 01:40:04 pm »
I made my own apple syrup by boiling a gallon of pressed juice down to about a pint of liquid, although you could probably go down a bit further. I was using it to boost the OG on a cider I was brewing. I then proceeded to mop up every drop in the pan with marshmallows. It is addictive stuff, and easy enough to make on your own (although time consuming).

That image is cracking me up!  Sound like you had a bit of an addiction going on. Hopefully no one was watching.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 06:57:03 pm »

Try making boiled cider jelly some day- it's great.  I almost put some in a beer recipe this fall but then decided it was too good to go fooling with in beer.