Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Critique wanted on sweet stout  (Read 2816 times)

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Critique wanted on sweet stout
« on: November 30, 2015, 06:31:47 pm »
Hi All,

Stouts are not my usual go-to beer, but I have many friends that seem to like them. So I'd like to get a sweet stout on tap. Until now, I've only brewed stouts from kits. This is my first attempt at my own recipe. I would love some feedback on it.

Thanks in advance.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.72 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal   
Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 35.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 35.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 79.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 83.3 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
7 lbs 8.0 oz          Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM)           Grain         1        72.3 %       
12.0 oz               Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (77.0 SRM)    Grain         2        7.2 %         
8.0 oz                Black Roasted Barley (500.0 SRM)         Grain         3        4.8 %         
8.0 oz                Chocolate Malt (475.0 SRM)               Grain         4        4.8 %         
2.0 oz                Acid Malt (3.0 SRM)                      Grain         5        1.2 %         
1 lbs                 Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM)           Sugar         6        9.6 %         
1.75 oz               Goldings, B.C. [5.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min  Hop           7        35.8 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124 Yeast         8        -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 6.0 oz
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Critique wanted on sweet stout
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 06:41:03 pm »
I think it looks really good. I wouldn't think you'd need the acid malt though, as the dark malts acidify the mash already.

EDIT - You'll actually need to raise pH most likely with this beer. I like baking soda (via Brunwater) to do that.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 06:49:44 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 06:54:27 pm »
I think it looks really good. I wouldn't think you'd need the acid malt though, as the dark malts acidify the mash already.

EDIT - You'll actually need to raise pH most likely with this beer. I like baking soda (via Brunwater) to do that.

+1000000.  Exactly.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 07:12:41 pm »
Thanks, guys!

I have to add the acid because of my water profile, which, among other things, has an 8.8 ph.
Frank C.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 07:57:04 pm »
Hmm... that's some nasty Heineken style water, then.  I've never heard of anyone having to add acid to their stout.  But I suppose there's a first time for everything.

Enjoy.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 08:00:59 pm »
Same with me, last stout I did had a pound of debittered black malt and mash was 5.7 pre acid

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 08:15:13 pm »
Thanks, guys!

I have to add the acid because of my water profile, which, among other things, has an 8.8 ph.
Hopefully you have run this through a calculator. The pH of 8.8 is pretty irrelevant. It's the alkalinity that matters. To much alkalinity will keep the grist from dropping the ph to the desired range not too high of pH. High bicarbonate water may still require an acid addition with your proposed grist but ideally this should be run through a calculator such as Brunwater.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 10:37:22 am »
Thanks, guys!

Hopefully you have run this through a calculator. The pH of 8.8 is pretty irrelevant. It's the alkalinity that matters. To much alkalinity will keep the grist from dropping the ph to the desired range not too high of pH. High bicarbonate water may still require an acid addition with your proposed grist but ideally this should be run through a calculator such as Brunwater.

Sure, I use Bru'nwater. I have good water for pilsners but building a profile for very dark beers can be a challenge.
Frank C.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 11:19:00 am »
I love this recipe, it is usually one that wins over a lot of people that are not big stout fans... and it is a sweet stout too.

(5 gallons/19 L, extract with grains)
OG = 1.053 FG = 1.013
IBU = 28 SRM = 35 ABV = 5.2%

Ingredients
0.5 lbs. (0.23 kg) Muntons Light dried malt extract
4 lb. 2 oz. (1.9 kg) John Bull Plain Light liquid malt extract (late addition)
8.0 oz. (0.23 kg) 2-row pale ale malt
11 oz. (0.31 kg) crystal malt (60 °L)
13 oz. (0.37 kg) chocolate malt
12 oz. (0.34 kg) lactose
8.0 oz. (0.23 kg) invert sugar
4.0 oz. (0.11 kg) cane sugar
6.0 oz. (0.17 kg) cocoa powder
6.0 oz. (0.17 kg) cacao nibs
0.33 oz. (9.4 g) liquid chocolate extract
1 whirlfloc tablet (15 mins)
1/8 tsp. yeast nutrients (15 mins)
7 AAU Fuggles hops (60 mins) (1.4 oz./40 g of 5% alpha acids)
1.25 AAU Kent Goldings hops (15 mins) (0.25 oz./7 g of 5% alpha acids)
Wyeast 1318 (London Ale III) yeast (1.5 quart/~1.5 L yeast starter)
0.75 cups corn sugar (for priming)

In a nylon steeping bag. Heat 3.0 quarts (2.8 L) of water to 164 °F (73 °C) and steep grains for 45 minutes at 153 °F (67 °C). Rinse grain bag with 1.5 quarts (~1.5 L) of water at 170 °F (77 °C). Add dried malt extract, sugars and water to make 3 gallons (11 L) and bring to a boil. Add hops and boil for 60 minutes. With 15 minutes left, turn off heat and stir in liquid malt extract. Add cocoa powder (dissolved in hot water), second dose of hops, Irish moss and yeast nutrients and resume boiling. Cool wort, transfer to fermenter and top up to 5 gallons (19 L). Ferment at 68 °F (20 °C). Add chocolate extract in a secondary for 4 days.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 05:11:00 pm by JJeffers09 »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 10:22:24 pm »
I think it looks good to go. I have a Sweet Stout in mind this winter. What mash ph are you shooting for in Bru'n Water?

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 10:32:38 am »
I think it looks good to go. I have a Sweet Stout in mind this winter. What mash ph are you shooting for in Bru'n Water?

Frank C.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 10:35:09 am »
I like the recipe as well. I would even consider raising your mash pH to 5.6 or possibly higher. My recent brown ale was 5.5 and I did a baltic porter at 5.6 with great results.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 03:50:22 pm »
My most recent oatmeal stout was mashed at pH = 5.7 and turned out with a wonderful smooth roastiness with no acrid/harshness.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 04:32:21 pm »
My most recent oatmeal stout was mashed at pH = 5.7 and turned out with a wonderful smooth roastiness with no acrid/harshness.

I hate toneven ask and stir uo the confusion but I want to clarify before I do the same i  a darker beer. The ph of your cooled mash same would then actually be something like 6 if your mash ph was 5.7? I know...I know...just making sure so I can follow and try it for myself.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 04:43:09 pm »

I have heard from others that a higher ph is good with very dark beers. If this is the case, then I could probably forego the acid malt and mash a little higher.

I hate toneven ask and stir uo the confusion but I want to clarify before I do the same i  a darker beer. The ph of your cooled mash same would then actually be something like 6 if your mash ph was 5.7? I know...I know...just making sure so I can follow and try it for myself.

I got the mash ph number from Bru'nwater, so I figure it is corrected for temperature.

Frank C.