Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Critique wanted on sweet stout  (Read 2797 times)

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Critique wanted on sweet stout
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 04:49:30 pm »
Okay, I took the acid malt off, and now the ph is 5.62. I think I'll go with it.

The reason I brought it down with the acid malt to begin with was that the ph number in Bru'nwater turns orange when I set it that high. If that is a good ph to mash stouts, then why isn't the "black full" profile set for it?
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 04:57:49 pm »
Okay, I took the acid malt off, and now the ph is 5.62. I think I'll go with it.

The reason I brought it down with the acid malt to begin with was that the ph number in Bru'nwater turns orange when I set it that high. If that is a good ph to mash stouts, then why isn't the "black full" profile set for it?

I think the software's 'good' ranges were set before more people started mashing porter and stout above 5.5. I noticed that the first time I did it.  5.62 is plenty close enough - it'll be great !
Jon H.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 05:57:19 am »

I think the software's 'good' ranges were set before more people started mashing porter and stout above 5.5. I noticed that the first time I did it.  5.62 is plenty close enough - it'll be great !

Yeah, I can see now that an orange cell means at the upper end of the range--paraphrasing, of course.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 09:44:18 am »
My most recent oatmeal stout was mashed at pH = 5.7 and turned out with a wonderful smooth roastiness with no acrid/harshness.

I hate toneven ask and stir uo the confusion but I want to clarify before I do the same i  a darker beer. The ph of your cooled mash same would then actually be something like 6 if your mash ph was 5.7? I know...I know...just making sure so I can follow and try it for myself.

No problem - room temperature measurement taken on a stirred sample of the mash after 15 minutes.