Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blichmann Breweasy reviews  (Read 12775 times)

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
Re: Blichmann Breweasy reviews
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 09:21:36 pm »
Off topic, but please whatever you do don't google 'k-rims'. That term was used a lot in this thread and google gives you the art of Les Krims, who seems to have been weened a bit too early.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 09:30:13 pm »
Now how many people are going to google Les Krims? Maybe tomorrow on the work computer, nope bad idea!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2015, 06:17:19 am »
Off topic, but please whatever you do don't google 'k-rims'. That term was used a lot in this thread and google gives you the art of Les Krims, who seems to have been weened a bit too early.
Hahaha!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2015, 02:48:07 pm »
SO today i brewed up a 10 gallon batch of my house IPA and must say after some dialing in and advice from here it was a much better brew day!

I used the 1.5gpm orifice and the volume between the MT and BK stayed perfectly even throughout the mash with a really nice recirculation! temperature maintained perfectly through the mash as well with just a few degrees difference between the TOP and the actual mash required once temps stabilized.

No stuck sparge but only hit 62% efficiency on the mash so I think I am going to try and crush a bit finer and have some rice hulls on hand for the next batch.

Once dialing in the boil off and losses from the kettles and tubing I hit my volumes just about perfectly and have two buckets in the ferm chamber holding 11 gallons of pitched wort, pretty happy camper today!

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2015, 04:38:17 pm »
Good to hear!
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2015, 07:52:17 pm »
SO today i brewed up a 10 gallon batch of my house IPA and must say after some dialing in and advice from here it was a much better brew day!

I used the 1.5gpm orifice and the volume between the MT and BK stayed perfectly even throughout the mash with a really nice recirculation! temperature maintained perfectly through the mash as well with just a few degrees difference between the TOP and the actual mash required once temps stabilized.

No stuck sparge but only hit 62% efficiency on the mash so I think I am going to try and crush a bit finer and have some rice hulls on hand for the next batch.

Once dialing in the boil off and losses from the kettles and tubing I hit my volumes just about perfectly and have two buckets in the ferm chamber holding 11 gallons of pitched wort, pretty happy camper today!

Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2015, 03:53:59 pm »
This is great news, since I'm considering shelling out the big bucks for an Electric BrewEasy system. Please keep me posted.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline Kraft Farm Brewing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2015, 05:28:17 am »
Brewed my first 10 gallon batch on my Breweasy on Sunday. Everything worked great.I had a little trouble getting the right adjustment on the auto sparge but that only took a couple minutes. I made a clone of Sierra Nevadas Ruthless Rye. Hit the gravity right on at 1.064. Can't wait to try it out.

I found a helpful video on YouTube about the Breweasy system which I picked up some tips from. Search under getting the most out of your Breweasy.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2015, 07:12:19 am »
Brewed my first 10 gallon batch on my Breweasy on Sunday. Everything worked great.I had a little trouble getting the right adjustment on the auto sparge but that only took a couple minutes. I made a clone of Sierra Nevadas Ruthless Rye. Hit the gravity right on at 1.064. Can't wait to try it out.

I found a helpful video on YouTube about the Breweasy system which I picked up some tips from. Search under getting the most out of your Breweasy.
Watched the same video a couple times, does a good job of over viewing the process with some good tips.  Will say the dude's water chemistry process is a bit wonky though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2015, 06:27:51 pm »
Bumping the thread because I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a BrewEasy system.

How are the beers coming out? Everyone has talked about the process and the system, but the bottom line is does it make great beer?
Frank C.

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2016, 09:10:49 pm »
Bumping the thread because I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a BrewEasy system.

How are the beers coming out? Everyone has talked about the process and the system, but the bottom line is does it make great beer?

Of course.  I count about 18 batches that I've brewed on mine.  The last six or so were done with a Tower of Power controller added, and I love it.  But it's no different than any other system, in that it only makes wort as good as your ingredients, recipe, and attention to mash parameters allow.  Then it's still up to you to control the fermentation parameters for your chosen yeast to do its thing.

This weekend's brew was a good 8 hour day, but it was a lengthy mash, and I also lost about 15 minutes looking for and measuring out my first hop addition when the timer went off (and which I neglected to do in advance), and couldn't find the ones I wanted.  I used the Top Link software to send a continuous-rising 1:50 mash profile to the TOP controller from 113-162° (with a 10 minute rest at 148) then a mash-out at 168.

BTW, Sunday's Brew Year's Saison saw a calculated 72% efficiency which was much higher than my usual 64%.  It might be the water adjustments I made for this batch with the help of Bru'n Water, and the extended mash over a wide temperature range.  (Recipe is 75% Belgian Pilsener and 25% Munich malts...never used Munich in a Saison before but I had it on hand and was looking for a little more color and malt flavor, so WTF.)  Gravity is down from 1.066 to 1.022 after just two days, with a combination charge of WLP565 and Belle Saison yeasts.  I've been ramping it up from 68° at pitching to a current 80, and on its way to 85 tonight.

https://www.thebeerbug.com/main/index.php?id=20000c2a690a323b

(The ambient temp graph is erratic because I'm not using the BeerBut's immersion temperature probe.  My Ranco temp controller is controlling a heater that surrounds my fermenter, but the BeerBug is exposed to room temp air so it's not showing the actual wort temp.  (I'll eventually drill another hole in my conical's lid that lets me add the BeerBug's temperature probe at the same time I'm using the Ranco and a thermowell.  The gravity and alcohol graphs tell the picture.)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 09:14:36 pm by smkranz »
Steve K.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2016, 04:33:48 pm »
It sounds like you're getting the system dialed in.

I figured that the beer was pretty much the same as on any system, given the same variables. I just haven't heard many BrewEasy brewers talking about the results, so I thought I'd ask. You haven't had any issues with the final product that you could attribute to the BrewEasy process? Adjustments that you  had to make, other than projected efficiency?

Thanks for answering.
Frank C.

Offline mfitzgibbon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2016, 09:20:10 am »
I have the 10G gas version as well, but haven't started using the software to control the Tower of Power. Have you figured out the rise time on the system?

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2016, 07:46:17 pm »
You haven't had any issues with the final product that you could attribute to the BrewEasy process? Adjustments that you  had to make, other than projected efficiency?

Thanks for answering.

Nope, don't think so.  Efficiency, and water volume was really the only thing to dial in...and water/pH adjustments which I think are reflected in my last batch.
Steve K.

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2016, 08:23:04 pm »
I have the 10G gas version as well, but haven't started using the software to control the Tower of Power. Have you figured out the rise time on the system?

If you mean how quickly the system can raise mash temp in a step mash, I haven't specifically timed it but depending on which orifice size you use, and the size of the mash, I'm sure it could do a couple degrees per minute.  Without the TOP controller, I went slower with a lower flame under the kettle, to avoid over-shooting.
Steve K.