Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SRM for Irish Red  (Read 5931 times)

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
Re: SRM for Irish Red
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 12:34:05 pm »
I usually use 2oz of Carafa II Special(dehusked) to get 14 SRM.  Chocolate malt is going to give you brown - not red.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 07:32:47 pm »
I think 2 oz. of black roasted barley is about right for 5 gallons of Irish Red--or at least that's what I'm going to try this year. Last year I used 4.5 oz.--and I ended up with what my wife called Moxie Beer--she was impressed and thinks there might be a market for it; I think it was all just a big mistake that took me many months to drink my way out of.
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 07:37:53 pm »
I think 2 oz. of black roasted barley is about right for 5 gallons of Irish Red--or at least that's what I'm going to try this year. Last year I used 4.5 oz.--and I ended up with what my wife called Moxie Beer--she was impressed and thinks there might be a market for it; I think it was all just a big mistake that took me many months to drink my way out of.
Ouch, but at least she thought it was drinkable/saleable
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2015, 08:53:06 pm »
I have roasted my own a couple times and taken it out of the oven when it smells like oatmeal cookies....but when I can get it, I prefer the 300L roasted barley malt together with some 120L Crystal and 40L Crystal in equal parts per Jamil's recipe.  To me the base malt is Maris Otter, but I know others have a favorite pale for this style.

That gets me into a nice red color in a deep copper level....but give another treatment and see what you like.  This style is pretty forgiving and you can make what you like best after trying something different¡
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2015, 07:37:17 am »
^^^^ This. At least for the one I made last year.  I wish I had taken a picture of it. 

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2015, 07:56:34 am »
I was looking into an Irish Red a while back and ran across a couple recipes on beersmith that got good reviews, I always been told the carared (20) Crystal (90) and roasted barley (300) was the combo for a deep amber color with the a pale malt base.

I have not brewed it yet, but my original brainstorm was
8lbs Pale 6
3lbs Munich
.5lbs Crystal 90L
.5lbs Carared 20L
.33lbs Roasted Barley 300L
1.5 EKG - 40

but that was only a beersmith calc.
EOG - 1.058
EFG - 1.014
~5.7%
24.4 IBU
17.4 SRM
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2015, 08:08:20 am »
I was looking into an Irish Red a while back and ran across a couple recipes on beersmith that got good reviews, I always been told the carared (20) Crystal (90) and roasted barley (300) was the combo for a deep amber color with the a pale malt base.

I have not brewed it yet, but my original brainstorm was
8lbs Pale 6
3lbs Munich
.5lbs Crystal 90L
.5lbs Carared 20L
.33lbs Roasted Barley 300L
1.5 EKG - 40

but that was only a beersmith calc.
EOG - 1.058
EFG - 1.014
~5.7%
24.4 IBU
17.4 SRM

That does look good but a bit too dark for what I am going for. Reducing the RB to 2 oz gets me closer to where I would want to be (~13.7). I have brewed a few beers estimated around 17 SRM and they were too dark for what I want to achieve here.

I like the idea of munich malt a lot as well but I plan to stick to more traditional base malts for this one. Carared seems to get a lot of love so I should try to track that down.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2015, 08:12:26 am »
I think clarity plays a big role in how we view the srm. Even if the beer is darker as long as its crystal clear that Red hue looks great wether its light or darker. But if its a little dark and not clear then the beer looks much darker and less Red.

Just my thoughts.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2015, 08:19:32 am »
I think clarity plays a big role in how we view the srm. Even if the beer is darker as long as its crystal clear that Red hue looks great wether its light or darker. But if its a little dark and not clear then the beer looks much darker and less Red.

Just my thoughts.

For sure. I think I mentioned that above at some point as well. Right now, I have a beer on tap that is estimated @ ~12 SRM and is crystal clear so that has been a good point of comparison. It is slightly too light and basically deep amber. I also have a bottled beer that is about 16 SRM and pretty clear when poured properly. Somewhere in between those is where I want to be I think.

Sorry for dragging this topic out. I realize there is a lot of information out there regarding 'achieving redness'...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 08:24:33 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale