Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hochkurz versus 150F Mash - Is really there a difference?  (Read 25335 times)

narvin

Re: Hochkurz versus 150F Mash - Is really there a difference?
« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2015, 09:45:48 am »
Nothing is mandatory.  But what is the point in coming here and saying that you've cracked the code to German lagers without telling anyone what it is?  Or even worse, coming in here, saying that you haven't cracked the code, but that your secret ideas are still better than everyone else's?
Where did I say either?

Again...Sorry, Amanda.
I look forward to your findings.

Sorry, if that's not what you were saying I didn't mean to put words in your mouth.  I was just addressing the general futility of not sharing on forums.  It's not like the people here are do nothing moochers...

RPIScotty

Hochkurz versus 150F Mash - Is really there a difference?
« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2015, 12:41:08 pm »
Nothing is mandatory.  But what is the point in coming here and saying that you've cracked the code to German lagers without telling anyone what it is?  Or even worse, coming in here, saying that you haven't cracked the code, but that your secret ideas are still better than everyone else's?
Where did I say either?

Again...Sorry, Amanda.
I look forward to your findings.

Sorry, if that's not what you were saying I didn't mean to put words in your mouth.  I was just addressing the general futility of not sharing on forums.  It's not like the people here are do nothing moochers...

I think the simple fact of the matter is this: if after 400 lagers one has not achieved an elusive flavor goal in their beer, then maybe they are doing something wrong. And if that's the case, I'm not sure anyone wants the  information, test results or data anyway.

It's very cut and dry: if people look at the forum members here as idiot good ol' boys (and gals) with a ber drankin' n' makin' hobby on the side then I have to wonder why they waste their time coming here and trolling some of the nicest members on the forum. If you don't like the results of other people's experiments then don't comment. Or post your own as counterpoint.

I'm thankful that in light of some the most recent beer experiment thread de-railings that people are still taking the time to write these kind of posts up.

Thanks for a good read Amanda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 12:48:48 pm by RPIScotty »

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #107 on: December 04, 2015, 04:06:22 pm »
FYI, it is Amanda's birthday. Gifts are unnecessary, though she is accepting 12oz and 500mL bottles featuring "IT" please/thank you.

...have a great day, my annoyingly-young friend.  ;D

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2015, 05:14:29 pm »
FYI, it is Amanda's birthday. Gifts are unnecessary, though she is accepting 12oz and 500mL bottles featuring "IT" please/thank you.

...have a great day, my annoyingly-young friend.  ;D

I LOL'd at annoyingly young... Happy Birthday Amanda!
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #109 on: December 04, 2015, 05:22:38 pm »
How did I miss that? Happy Bday!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #110 on: December 04, 2015, 05:33:27 pm »
Happy Birthday,Amanda ! You earned this one in the last few days.   ;)
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #111 on: December 04, 2015, 07:18:42 pm »

I am curious about your graphs. Did you take all those gravity readings manually or is that a feature of the Zymatic? I am guessing manual. If so, that was hard work.

Second question on both graphs the temp drops suddenly about 3/4 way along the mash and then jumps back up. What's happening there? Just curious. I don't see a programmed drop on the mash temp editor screenshot you added later in the thread.

I like the way you're using the Zymatic. Great idea using it for experiments.

The Zymatic is run via a wifi controlled Ardrino - so it logs nearly everything that it does. I did nothing in regards to the temperature logging. You can add recipe notes, such as SG, but they only show up as a dot on the graph and not as I had shown them in the Excel version on the first post. Here is a screenshot from my online account:

Those dips you see are the temperature readings while there is little wort near the wort temp probe, which is when the system drains (after the mash it drains for 8 min into the keg for "boiling") and sometimes when it pauses (see the chilling dip in temp that comes up? The system pauses there to allow me to connect my chiller. I restart it when we are all hooked up.)

I hope to do many, many more experiments with this thing (even if it's just for my own curiosity). For me, that's the best part about this little system. It is highly controllable and incredibly accurate. I wish they would advertise it like that, because it certainly isn't something I would recommend for the 'new brewer' audience they are aiming for.
Thanks. This thread makes me want a Zymatic.

RPIScotty

« Reply #112 on: December 04, 2015, 07:20:49 pm »
Happy Birthday Amanda.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2015, 07:22:07 am »
Happy Birthday Amanda! Don't let the lager-Nazi's get you down!
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #114 on: December 05, 2015, 09:58:03 am »
Dammit Wilcox.

Thank you guys for the birthday wishes. :)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #115 on: December 05, 2015, 12:00:06 pm »
Happy Birthday Amanda! Don't let the lager-Nazi's get you down!
I see what you did there.

Hope you had a happy birthday, Amanda!
Jesse

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #116 on: December 05, 2015, 12:43:54 pm »
I think something to remember is that everyone has this hobby for different reasons. Some want the best beer for the least effort, other don't mind going to great lengths to craft the perfect beer. Some may be in the hobby for one specific scientific aspect, be it water, yeast, etc, while others may not care at all and just want to learn how to brew a batch of beer. That's why we have forums like this, so we can find ways to fill in our knowledge on areas that don't appeal to us without having to do tons of research.

I'm working on homework for my EE classes right now, doing dynamics. I hate dynamics, it's monotonous and isn't as closely linked to my field as a circuit design class. I feel the same way about water chemistry and brewing. For now, it's monotonous and boring, and you'd have to force me to learn it at a level that I'm learning dynamics. Thankfully Martin has a great spreadsheet that takes the work out of water chemistry. But just because water chemistry makes my head hurt, doesn't make it any less fun for those who enjoy it.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #117 on: December 05, 2015, 12:47:13 pm »
I think something to remember is that everyone has this hobby for different reasons. Some want the best beer for the least effort, other don't mind going to great lengths to craft the perfect beer. Some may be in the hobby for one specific scientific aspect, be it water, yeast, etc, while others may not care at all and just want to learn how to brew a batch of beer. That's why we have forums like this, so we can find ways to fill in our knowledge on areas that don't appeal to us without having to do tons of research.

I'm working on homework for my EE classes right now, doing dynamics. I hate dynamics, it's monotonous and isn't as closely linked to my field as a circuit design class. I feel the same way about water chemistry and brewing. For now, it's monotonous and boring, and you'd have to force me to learn it at a level that I'm learning dynamics. Thankfully Martin has a great spreadsheet that takes the work out of water chemistry. But just because water chemistry makes my head hurt, doesn't make it any less fun for those who enjoy it.

I'm pretty sure no one said we should ignore German brewers.  What was said is that:

- Don't be a dick.
- Don't be blinded by reading Narziss.  Try it on your home system in a blind taste test.
- If you haven't found the solution, don't discount what other people have to say.
- If you have found the solution and come here just to be superior without telling us what it is, see #1.

All of this.  I can't believe I just spent 25 minutes catching up on this thread.  Most of the last 5 pages have been a sheer waste of space.  No disrespect to those posting valuable information either. 

Brewers code 101 - Rule 1 is Don't be a D**CK! 

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #118 on: December 05, 2015, 03:30:13 pm »

I'm pretty sure no one said we should ignore German brewers.  What was said is that:

- Don't be a dick.
- Don't be blinded by reading Narziss.  Try it on your home system in a blind taste test.
- If you haven't found the solution, don't discount what other people have to say.
- If you have found the solution and come here just to be superior without telling us what it is, see #1.

All of this.  I can't believe I just spent 25 minutes catching up on this thread.  Most of the last 5 pages have been a sheer waste of space.  No disrespect to those posting valuable information either. 

Brewers code 101 - Rule 1 is Don't be a D**CK! 
Yep, total waste of space and it got Bryan banned. I know from experience this is not his first time being banned from a forum. The guy has knowledge, but he needs to chill out and learn how to convey it in a manner than doesn't come off so dickish.
Jesse

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #119 on: December 05, 2015, 03:52:43 pm »
Oh man, happy belated birthday Amanda. I was driving for a while, then riding trains yesterday.

I had an Augustiner Helles today, it was very good. I also had as good as Helles beers in Franconia (Mahrs) and Ober Bayern (Spital).

« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 05:31:35 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!