Author Topic: **Update:Mans Milk Milk stout by Noble ale works in southern Ca  (Read 4750 times)

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
Re: Mans Milk Milk stout by Noble ale works in southern Ca
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 04:48:43 pm »
Just curious...what does English Pale Ale style guidelines have to do with a Milk Stout?

Nothing to answer your question;  I saw that SteveTx responded to  Milk stout so I  changed topics.. as I was just saying hello and asked a question..

should have put it in its own topic posting... keep it clean and organized...   :D

No that's fine sorry I thought maybe an email from the brewery left you guessing what category to place this in or maybe you meant to ask what was "English Pale Ale Malt". I was thinking something else.

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 05:04:30 pm »
Just curious...what does English Pale Ale style guidelines have to do with a Milk Stout?

Nothing to answer your question;  I saw that SteveTx responded to  Milk stout so I  changed topics.. as I was just saying hello and asked a question..

should have put it in its own topic posting... keep it clean and organized...   :D

No that's fine sorry I thought maybe an email from the brewery left you guessing what category to place this in or maybe you meant to ask what was "English Pale Ale Malt". I was thinking something else.
No worries and good afternoon Porterhaus :)
I'm like a kid waiting to hear something from their brewery regarding the "Man's Milk" LoL

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

JUST A REGULAR GUY WHO BREWS!
Aplaudir Amigos Y Amigas  :)

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 05:10:17 pm »
Good evening as well. I'm anxious to hear what info they have to share. Please post back.

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 05:17:27 pm »
Good evening as well. I'm anxious to hear what info they have to share. Please post back.

I will.. def. will post their response.. :)

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 11:02:28 pm »
Well here's my recipe for milk Stout
Cheweybakas Milk Stout   ;)

I had 1lb of flaked Barley to add creaminess but I dropped it..simplify and thinking the lactose will add that creaminess body..  Should i add the flaked Barley back?

Creator: 2brew559
Style: Sweet Stout   
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)   
Boil Size: 7.52 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.044 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 80% (brew house)   
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.018
ABV (standard): 5.57%
IBU (tinseth): 35.08
SRM (morey): 35.24

BUGU .58 this recipe
Mash temp: 154F @1.55qts

Yeast: wlp005/ 002 or wyeast equivalent

1lb lactose at kegging or bottling

Fermentables
Amount              Fermentable                 Bill %
8.25 lb briess American - Pale 2-Row. 71.7%
1 lb   German - Dark Munich      10    8.7%
1 lb   German - CaraMunich I  34/39L       8.7%
0.75 lb United Kingdom - Chocolate 425L 6.5%
0.5 lb Patagonia Black Pearl dehusked Malt 340L 4.3%

11.5 lb   Total   

Hops
Amount   Variety   Type   AA   Use   Time   IBU
0.55 oz   Magnum   Pellet   13.7   Boil   60 min   27.45
1 oz   East Kent Goldings   Pellet   5   Aroma   12 min   7.64
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 11:22:34 pm by 2brew559 »

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2015, 08:24:19 am »
I don't know the beer you are trying to model this after but a few things that stand out to me (and just my opinions) is the Caramunich, that's a lot of Caramunich which has a distinct character. Something like some C-60 or C-80 is what I see more often especially with some Munich already in there. Then there's getting enough Roast character in there, you are going to have a sweet, rich, creamy beer you want to make sure you get the Roast in there. The chocolate malt is fine but I don't know if the Black Pearl will give you the roast you would want and need to balance this out. Usually a pound of regular Black Patent Malt is what I see in a lot of Milk Stouts.

Of course if you are building this off of the info you are gettin from the beer you are modeling it after disregard my input. I'm only going off what I have done and seen done with beers of this type.

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2015, 10:59:18 am »
I don't know the beer you are trying to model this after but a few things that stand out to me (and just my opinions) is the Caramunich, that's a lot of Caramunich which has a distinct character. Something like some C-60 or C-80 is what I see more often especially with some Munich already in there. Then there's getting enough Roast character in there, you are going to have a sweet, rich, creamy beer you want to make sure you get the Roast in there. The chocolate malt is fine but I don't know if the Black Pearl will give you the roast you would want and need to balance this out. Usually a pound of regular Black Patent Malt is what I see in a lot of Milk Stouts.

Of course if you are building this off of the info you are gettin from the beer you are modeling it after disregard my input. I'm only going off what I have done and seen done with beers of this type.

Porterhaus,

I just got impatient waiting for the email from the brewer "Noble Ale Works" in regards to the Mans Milk stout..
 Ill revise. .and resubmit.. to the PR'Os on here..   

This is what I recall from having to beers of the "Mans Milk on Nitro" last year while visiting relatives in LA

Appearance:  brown dark/ maybe closer to black maybe
Body: Smooth & Creamy (Nitro), medium body to milk stout like body
Taste:  Milky chocolatey, kinda rich...
Roast Flavors: I don't recall any.. but again it was a while ago.. so i could be wrong...
Update: link with images
https://untappd.com/b/noble-ale-works-man-s-milk-w-vanilla-almonds-coffee/660921

if I had to compare to a beer that maybe you guys now of.. Idd say Young's double chocolate stout in CAN  Not Botttle  also with the creaminess of Guinness...

The revised Milks Stout (I don't have Nitro system) I do have a brand new perlick Creamer faucet...  :P

5.5 gallon @ fermenter recipe
(going after the chocolate flavor and minimizing the hard roast flavors) to try to mimick mans milk..LOL sorry funny name
Not a fan of prune and raisin flavors.. so I used carastan  :P 
BUt if you guys think I absolutely  no matter what need  the 60 or 80 and should dump the carastan well im willing to try...  mikey trys anything once..LOL

Base Malt -Neutral:  8.25 lb  American - Pale 2-Row   37   1.8L   73.3%
Malty, Bready, Biscuit: 1 lb   German - Dark Munich   36   10L   8.9%
caramel Sweetness, Toffee: 0.75 lb   United Kingdom - Carastan (30/37)   35   34L   6.7%
Chocolate with some Roast: 0.75 lb United Kingdom - Chocolate   34   425L          6.7%
Roast, Color, minute hints of coffee: 0.5 lb Weyermann Roasted Barley   28   433L   4.4%

Porterhouse, maybe flip the roast to .75lb and make the UK chocolate .5lb?

I had 1lb of flaked barley to help with the creaminess but i simplified...  maybe ill add it back so it works well with the perlick creamer faucet???

AS ALWAYS YOU BREWERS  ARE AWESOME!!!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 12:20:23 pm by 2brew559 »

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2015, 01:47:41 pm »
I clicked on the link you posted...does the Mans Milk actually have Chocolate and Coffee in the beer? If so that changes things up. Grains alone wont really bring you to that kind of flavor. Specialty and Roasted grains can be bring some chcolate and coffee notes to a beer but not full out chocolate and coffee flavor. Is that what you are looking to accomplish in the beer?

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2015, 03:17:37 pm »
I clicked on the link you posted...does the Mans Milk actually have Chocolate and Coffee in the beer? If so that changes things up. Grains alone wont really bring you to that kind of flavor. Specialty and Roasted grains can be bring some chocolate and coffee notes to a beer but not full out chocolate and coffee flavor. Is that what you are looking to accomplish in the beer?

Porterhaus,

I see what your saying/ explaining, regarding the grains and to answer your ?

I don't know how they made the "Mans Milk"  (probably added real lactating milk from a man..GROSSS YUCK...) other than  It was very good!  LOL

So I don't have a full grasp of formulating milk stouts with chocolate flavor "yet".. I know  can add artificial flavoring and or chocolate to get me that intense chocolate and coffee flavor...

I kinda want to avoid using artificial or extra ingredients.. at least till I grasp making a very good base Milk stout :)   want the malts to give the kawl pow kungfu kick of a good milk stout!

I'm fine with the perceived chocolate flavors of the chocolate malt and the Weyermann roasted barley
to get me in the ball park

I do really really appreciate your critique and questions as that helps me  :)

By the way, waiting for brewery response per my email...   :'(

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2015, 10:21:18 pm »
I went to Brew Store, bought some roasted malts... made a hot tea.

#1 Muntons UK Chocolate 2oz
#2 Weyermann Roasted Barley 2oz
#3 Patagonia's Black Pearl, Dehusked 2oz

155F degree 8oz water

Appearance: Dark like coffee/ expresso, residual foamy lacing that's expresso foam like but more chocolate colored
Smell: baking Chocolate with nuances of nuttiness and expresso
Taste: like a bland dark blunted chocolate with hints of weak expresso and some nuttyness

Appearance: Dark like coffee/ expresso , residual foamy lacing chocolatey foamy appearance
Smell: medium to strong coffee..sim.. too expresso
Taste: expresso roasty like taste.

Appearance: Dark like coffee/ expresso, Foaminess  was lacking to none, is more like a cold cup of foamless expresso
Smell: baking Chocolate with nuances of nuttiness and expresso
Taste: smooth cup of espresso (well made), hints of  roastiness with chocolate and nutty nuances

I had 2 otheres taste and they got very sim results..

I made  2:1 ratio of
#2 to #1= nice, tasty.. Basicly my comments in one paragraph combined

#2 to #3= smooth, tasty very nice!  Basicly both the malts descriptions combined...

Ok so what I'm getting is weyermann Roasted Barley as the 6%
And either the Patagonia or the Chocolate as the 4%

Depends on what Your after

The weyermann + chocolate is like very good expresso that has
been made to bring up more chocolate nuances.
Reminds me of a bag of good flavored roasty chocolate coffee
If that makes sense

The weyerman + Patagonia is like a very nice cup of smooth roasty expresso with very minor hints of chocolate and nuttiness..but the emphasizes more on the deliciusness of a finely crafted expresso...
This was my favorite!!!

This would be labeled smooth expresso if it was a bag of coffee...

You can't go wrong with either combo :)

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 10:50:09 pm by 2brew559 »

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
Re: **Update:Mans Milk Milk stout by Noble ale works in southern Ca
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2015, 05:34:44 am »
Sounds great. This sounds like a beer that might need a couple batches to get it to what you want. Start off witb what you feel is a solid recipe that seems like it has what you want in it and go from there. We can all lend suggestions but it comes down to your preference and what you want the beer to be. Sounds like you are getting it dialed in.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2015, 05:09:55 pm »
Cacao Nibs, it works for me.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2015, 05:22:56 pm »
You want us to rub your nibs..LOL what! ..Nope...  :o ;D

I did a NB milk stout as my 1st kit beer and used High quality cocoa nibs..  I didn't taste  anything out of those niblets...LOL...

I think it was 4 oz for 2 weeks  in secondary.. (dont ever do secondarys any more)

Maybe you have a secret, way with the nibs?

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2015, 05:34:21 pm »
#1 - you couldn't handle my nibs.... lol HA ;) :D

I have boiled them for 45 mins in 2 cups of water and racked onto them.  about 6 oz, also used 6 oz cocoa powder at flameout and have boiled it for the full 60.  Never got a burnt chocolate flavor, but I am constantly on my beer with a balloon whisk for the entirety of my boil.  I think they have their place in chocolate sweet stouts.  If you grab one and chew on it you will see there is a slightly different chocolate flavor from them than just dark, milk, or powdered chocolates.  It is much more aromatic than a flavor filled punch of chocolate, even when you chew on one, you can smell the chocolate rather than overwhelming flavor.  Plus I don't know how to really get a chocolatey smell on a beer that lasts other than pure cacao beans(too expensive for a xbmt) or cacao nibs...
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2015, 06:14:04 pm »
#1 - you couldn't handle my nibs.... lol HA ;) :D

I have boiled them for 45 mins in 2 cups of water and racked onto them.  about 6 oz, also used 6 oz cocoa powder at flameout and have boiled it for the full 60.  Never got a burnt chocolate flavor, but I am constantly on my beer with a balloon whisk for the entirety of my boil.  I think they have their place in chocolate sweet stouts.  If you grab one and chew on it you will see there is a slightly different chocolate flavor from them than just dark, milk, or powdered chocolates.  It is much more aromatic than a flavor filled punch of chocolate, even when you chew on one, you can smell the chocolate rather than overwhelming flavor.  Plus I don't know how to really get a chocolatey smell on a beer that lasts other than pure cacao beans(too expensive for a xbmt) or cacao nibs...
Lol good come back.. And thanks for your saucy way of handling da nibs!

Might have to give this a shot with my nibs! Lol

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk