Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: John Cougar Mellencamp  (Read 3170 times)

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
Re: John Cougar Mellencamp
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 08:35:43 pm »
I like spicy beers with one caveat, they can't be spicy just for the sake of being spicy. I need to be able to taste the pepper. I have made a few spicy beers and I think habaneros work very well, but it's a good idea to balance with a less spicy pepper to hold up the flavor.

Winner!

We have a really interesting stout coming along that used 2 Ancho, 3 Jalapeno  and 3 habaneros (1 Scotch Bonnet, 1 Congo Trinidad and 1 Chichen Itza).  Does as you describe very nicely with firm heat, green pepper flavor and habanero aroma.

That sounds super tasty, Pinski. Would be a good beer for deglazing the cast iron full of veggies (or meat, I suppose, if that is your thing). I love a good flavorful spicy beer. Various pepper have such a wonderful fruitiness to them. I just have to remember to save them for the end of the night.
Kyle M.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: John Cougar Mellencamp
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 08:52:26 am »
I like spicy beers with one caveat, they can't be spicy just for the sake of being spicy. I need to be able to taste the pepper. I have made a few spicy beers and I think habaneros work very well, but it's a good idea to balance with a less spicy pepper to hold up the flavor.

Winner!

We have a really interesting stout coming along that used 2 Ancho, 3 Jalapeno  and 3 habaneros (1 Scotch Bonnet, 1 Congo Trinidad and 1 Chichen Itza).  Does as you describe very nicely with firm heat, green pepper flavor and habanero aroma.

That sounds super tasty, Pinski. Would be a good beer for deglazing the cast iron full of veggies (or meat, I suppose, if that is your thing). I love a good flavorful spicy beer. Various pepper have such a wonderful fruitiness to them. I just have to remember to save them for the end of the night.
Wow, I like where you went with that. Might have to give that a try!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified