Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: 1st time Kegging in approx 2 weeks How to clarify beer  (Read 1720 times)

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
1st time Kegging in approx 2 weeks How to clarify beer
« on: December 03, 2015, 11:49:18 am »
Hi every one

So whats the preferred method of clarifying beer  "fermente vessel vs in kegg" using the non flavored jello stuff?

Note:  I've added it to to primary fermenter then cold crashed then bottled... with good results..

I have kegs now !!! wooo wooo  :P

Chill kegs to cold crash temps with beer in it... then add gel.. then purge air- set psi to serving pressure  and wait a week at cold crash temps?

The 1st pours will have the yeast the after will be clear.

Last question: Does Co2 carbed beer taste different than  beer carbed with corn sugar???

I ask;  beer on tap- draft usually has that nice carbed beer flavor while sometimes same beer in bottle  taste somewhat different.. or at least to me..

Moose Drool commercial beer is a good example.  On tap its great!  Bottled umm its alright....

I've had several others say same thing with different Moose drool bottles purchased at different stores.. so cant be a one time glitch. 

I guess this is why Im really excited to pour my 1st pint from my new draft system in 2 weeks or less

« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 11:54:55 am by 2brew559 »
JUST A REGULAR GUY WHO BREWS!
Aplaudir Amigos Y Amigas  :)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: 1st time Kegging in approx 2 weeks How to clarify beer
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 01:24:16 pm »
I like to cold crash in the fermenter then add the hydrated gelatin to the bottom of the keg and rack on top of it.

The first pour looks pretty nasty. It's drinkable though. Just close your eyes :)

Regarding kegged versus bottles. I know the phenomenon and agree lots of beers taste better on draft. Homebrew seems to taste about the same from bottle and keg to me. I think (just conjecture) it's a freshness thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 02:29:09 pm »
I like to cold crash in the fermenter then add the hydrated gelatin to the bottom of the keg and rack on top of it.

The first pour looks pretty nasty. It's drinkable though. Just close your eyes :)

Regarding kegged versus bottles. I know the phenomenon and agree lots of beers taste better on draft. Homebrew seems to taste about the same from bottle and keg to me. I think (just conjecture) it's a freshness thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your methodssuggestions.. I will cold crash in primary fermenter  then rack over the gelatin...
good idea !

Glad to hear i'm not the only one who tastes a difference.. More than n anything Im happy to be ending the whole 3 weeks to 6 weeks to carb in bottle with corn sugar...What a load of mack n cheesola..LOL

glad my pain is finaly over!  :P ::)

JUST A REGULAR GUY WHO BREWS!
Aplaudir Amigos Y Amigas  :)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 03:07:42 pm »
The difference is dirty lines. :p

Offline kbenton00

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 04:35:29 pm »
I rack to the keg then cold crash it while under 30 psi CO2.  Then after a day of that I add gelatin to the keg and reapply the CO2 pressure to finish carbonation of the beer.  Since I leave my keezer at about 38deg this system works well for me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk