Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 1187 for an APA  (Read 9374 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Wyeast 1187 for an APA
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2015, 10:58:52 am »
Real Ringwood is a fine IPA yeast.  Wyeast 1187 is not real Ringwood.   I am personally not a fan of Wyeast 1968/WLP002.  In my humble opinion, it is the poser of British yeast strains.  It is the British yeast strain for those who do not like British beer.

Which is why it's the only British strain I like at all.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2015, 08:27:47 am »
Which is why it's the only British strain I like at all.

They were all British strains at one point, even 1450.  :)

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2015, 11:41:21 am »
We need to start a write-in campaign to get White Labs to offer WLP033 at least as a seasonal.   Companies are in business to make money.  If there is enough demand, White Labs will propagate it.

I spoke out of turn - sorry White Labs  :-[
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 08:51:13 am by stpug »

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2015, 11:49:49 am »
That would be pretty sweet. They could set it up so if your decide not to wait, you can apply the payment to a standard strain.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2015, 12:41:12 pm »
It appears that whoever shared that information with stpug jumped the shark.  Kara has asked to have the information removed from the forum.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2015, 01:16:09 pm »
You mean she doesn't want dozens or hundreds of email requests all at once for one specific strain?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2015, 02:12:06 pm »
I have met Kara.  She is a sweetheart.  I can only imagine how difficult having this information lose in the wild will make life for her.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:41:34 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2015, 06:35:18 pm »
After my total faux pas earlier, I decided to go the other direction and ask for more info from Wyeast on 1768 :D. It's too bad because I swear I remember 1768 just going through a seasonal release in the last year or so (could've been longer ago).

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2015, 08:49:54 am »
Good news on the horizon for "early 2016" from wyeast for 1768; hopefully that means the Jan-March release but we'll wait and see. That should allow me to pump out plenty of lagers before then and be ready for a string of British-style ales.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2015, 09:36:03 pm »
Is there a readily available commercial beer that is bottle conditioned with the true ringwood strain and from which it can be cultured?

The Pugsley-built craft breweries use sterile filtering.   The culture is multi-strain with two primary strains and usually several variants that can differ from brewery to brewery.
I'm drinking a shipyard export right now and can clearly see a decent layer of sediment in the bottom of the bottom. If the beer is not pasteurized then this very well could be the true multi-strain Ringwood ale yeast, right?

Edit: definitely has some diacetyl in it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 09:48:59 pm by stpug »

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2015, 05:35:54 pm »
We need to start a write-in campaign to get White Labs to offer WLP033 at least as a seasonal.   Companies are in business to make money.  If there is enough demand, White Labs will propagate it.

I spoke out of turn - sorry White Labs  :-[

It worked! If we get enough of us to order it they will make it. Check out the link:

http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-vault

"If you build it, they will come."
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2015, 05:40:19 pm »
Thats really a cool idea. I hope it works and that Wyeast follows

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2015, 06:02:38 pm »

Yeah, I'll drop them a line.

I'm a lover of English bitter, but I'm always dissapointed that I can't seem to make them like they make them across the pond. I would love to even come close to some of the real ales that I  had when I was there.

If we can get enough people to request WLP033, White Labs will propagate it.  It has a ester profile when young that can best be described as lollipop.   I know that description sounds weird, but it is really good in a balanced SMaSH bitter made with high-quality English pale malt and EKG.  I maintained the BrewTek incarnation of WLP033 on slant for ten years because I could not keep beer made with it on tap at my house.   Even my BMC drinking family members loved it.  That SMaSH bitter and Pre-Pro Pils made with the Christian Schmidt strain were my most popular beers before I took an extended hiatus from the hobby due to brewer burnout.
Mark, I am an English beer noob. If I want to try another yeast besides WLP002 that is always available from either WYeast or White Labs which do you recommend?

PS. I made a bitter with 94% English Pale, 4% English Crystal 60, and 1% Chocolate. You recommended this on a different thread. It turned out very good. I used WLP002. I would love to try another English strain to compare, but, don't know where to start.

Offline tommymorris

Wyeast 1187 for an APA
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2015, 06:06:29 pm »
Mark's comments about WLP002 are interesting. My LHBS posted on a local forum that for the immediate future they are only going to be ordering wlp001 and wlp002 because those are the only strains that sell well. Apparently a lot of the other strains pass the expiration date without selling and have to be discounted.

The LHBS will include special requested strains when they make their order.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2015, 07:02:29 pm »
Mark, I am an English beer noob. If I want to try another yeast besides WLP002 that is always available from either WYeast or White Labs which do you recommend?

PS. I made a bitter with 94% English Pale, 4% English Crystal 60, and 1% Chocolate. You recommended this on a different thread. It turned out very good. I used WLP002. I would love to try another English strain to compare, but, don't know where to start.

The Ridley's strain (WLP022) is next in rotation.  It is about as British as one is going get with White Lab's standard rotation strains.   WLP022 is significantly more attenuative than WLP002, so you may want try WLP005 first.

By the way, I acquired a British strain from UC Davis last year that I used to make a Cluster IPA before moving on to other new strains that I needed to evaluate.   That IPA was amazing for being an all Cluster beer.   I attributed the complex flavor that it possessed to the malt and hop bills.  I decided to propagate a starter from the culture while performing much needed bank maintenance.  I brewed an amber ale with Avangard Pilsner, MFB caramunich, and Crystal as the hop (not exactly a British-style beer).  To my surprise, the beer had all of the good attributes of the the Cluster ale.  Using Crystal instead of Cluster allowed the sensory profile produced by this strain to shine through the malt and hops.  Holy smokes, this culture is the most strongly flavored British ale yeast that I have used to date.  The ester profile is tutti frutti lollipop.   It also has a unique way of emphasizing malt.  This strain is almost too much for me.  It's almost like what would occur if a British strain mated with a Belgian strain.

Anyway, I sent a request Dr. Boundy-Mills to see if UC Davis had any additional information for the strain.  To my surprise, the scientist who deposited the strain was Jean-Xavier Guinard.  If that name rings a bell, it is because Jean-Xavier wrote the book entitled "Lambic" for the Classic Beer Styles Series.  Jean-Xavier could not remember where he acquired the strain because he was using it for his Ph.D. research.  He was studying agglutination properties of baker's yeast, and chose this brewing strain because it was highly flocculent (agglutination is a more specific way of describing flocculation as it pertains to cells).  Baker's yeast and ale yeast are the same yeast species; namely, Saccharomyces cerevisiae.  The only difference is the application for which a particular strain has been selected.