Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Hop Chronicles | USDA 074  (Read 1741 times)

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
The Hop Chronicles | USDA 074
« on: December 03, 2015, 06:02:21 am »
The Hop Chronicles is back! For this one, we tested a brand new yet-to-be-named hop from Oregon State University's Hops Breeding Program. Results are in!

http://brulosophy.com/2015/12/03/the-hop-chronicles-usda-074/

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: The Hop Chronicles | USDA 074
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 11:19:40 am »
I don't know if I would want a hop with apple and pear flavors. To me apple and pear comes across as cidery. Thanks for the post.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 04:17:16 pm »
I don't know if I would want a hop with apple and pear flavors. To me apple and pear comes across as cidery. Thanks for the post.

Hopped cider anyone?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
The Hop Chronicles | USDA 074
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 04:20:22 pm »
Hopped cider anyone?
Not for me. There is a place in Dallas that makes a dry hopped cider. I don't like it at all. I don't like most of the offerings actually, but I particularly don't like that one.

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 11:10:28 pm »

Hopped cider anyone?
Not for me. There is a place in Dallas that makes a dry hopped cider. I don't like it at all. I don't like most of the offerings actually, but I particularly don't like that one.

I've made plenty of dry hopped ciders, the hop can make or break it.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 03:39:49 am »
Interesting sounding hop, and I appreciate that the analysis specifically mentions that not every hop is destined to be a staple in IPA's. With so many new hops being bold and targeted for super hoppy beers, there is definitely room for less intense hop varieties in other styles.

One thing I'd suggest for your Hop Chronicles posts is to alter the formatting of your spider chart a bit. When I look at the chart as posted, I see maxed out citrus with tropical fruit right after. My first thought is that this is something in the Citra/Galaxy/Nelson realm. It is only after reading the article and triple-checking the chart that I figured out that the outside line is only a score of 4 out of 9 on the intensity scale. You should either make the scale much clearer on the graph itself, or (even better) make all your charts max out at 9 in the outer ring. That would make a better apples-to-apples comparison, and would give a better visual representation of the results.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 06:32:12 am »

Interesting sounding hop, and I appreciate that the analysis specifically mentions that not every hop is destined to be a staple in IPA's. With so many new hops being bold and targeted for super hoppy beers, there is definitely room for less intense hop varieties in other styles.

One thing I'd suggest for your Hop Chronicles posts is to alter the formatting of your spider chart a bit. When I look at the chart as posted, I see maxed out citrus with tropical fruit right after. My first thought is that this is something in the Citra/Galaxy/Nelson realm. It is only after reading the article and triple-checking the chart that I figured out that the outside line is only a score of 4 out of 9 on the intensity scale. You should either make the scale much clearer on the graph itself, or (even better) make all your charts max out at 9 in the outer ring. That would make a better apples-to-apples comparison, and would give a better visual representation of the results.

I know what you mean. Unfortunately, we've tried all of those ideas and this is what we agreed works best. Perhaps I'll start pointing out more clearly that each graph is relative only to the hop being examined and not others. It's a work in progress!