Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: It's truly amazing how well gel solution clears cold beer...  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
It's truly amazing how well gel solution clears cold beer...
« on: December 02, 2015, 04:55:56 pm »
I have a blonde ale that I recently kegged.  MaltEurop 2-row, some Belgian wheat, Munich 1 and carafoam, bittered with 20 IBUs of Horizon and then three ounces of late Liberty (fermented with 1028 London).  I kegged it and chilled it overnight and then hit it with a gel solution in the keg the next morning and then force-carbed it.  The first pint was sort of hazy but pint 2 was unbelievably clear.  I always used to use gel at room temp in the secondary but it's unreal when the beer is cold.  Everything drops out and leaves you with super clear beer.  A pic will follow.  Cheers.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: It's truly amazing how well gel solution clears cold beer...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 05:02:42 pm »
I have a blonde ale that I recently kegged.  MaltEurop 2-row, some Belgian wheat, Munich 1 and carafoam, bittered with 20 IBUs of Horizon and then three ounces of late Liberty (fermented with 1028 London).  I kegged it and chilled it overnight and then hit it with a gel solution in the keg the next morning and then force-carbed it.  The first pint was sort of hazy but pint 2 was unbelievably clear.  I always used to use gel at room temp in the secondary but it's unreal when the beer is cold.  Everything drops out and leaves you with super clear beer.  A pic will follow.  Cheers.

Yep, getting the beer cold first makes a big difference. Makes for a pretty beer.
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 07:12:17 pm »

This post, without a pic, is a crime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 08:58:13 pm »

This post, without a pic, is a crime.
Careful what you ask for. Ken is known for posting some of the clearest beer pics ever seen.

Agree on the your assesment too Ken. Gel and cold make a dynamite combo for clarity.

Offline swampale

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 05:18:56 am »
For some reason it takes me a week for my beer to clear with gelatin. Mine is like pea soup when cold before gelatin.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 05:31:09 am »
Big gel fine fan right here. 30F then gel, let sit 3 days or so. Works great.

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 07:31:43 am »
I have a filtering "system" that rarely, if ever gets used anymore since I found out about gelatin fining.  It usually takes 2-3 days at 38F for my beers to clear out completely.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 08:43:08 am »
I have a filtering "system" that rarely, if ever gets used anymore since I found out about gelatin fining.  It usually takes 2-3 days at 38F for my beers to clear out completely.
I bought a plate filter that sat in the box after a few people told me what a PITA it was to use and that it also had a waste factor too.  A local homebrewer told me that he may have developed a yeast allergy and asked me about filters so I gave him mine... brand new in the box.  Gel + cold beer is all you need.  Cheers Peeps.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 09:53:14 am »
I have had hit and miss results with gelatin for some reason I haven't been able to nail down.

My last couple of beers are crystal clear and much quicker than usual. The only difference to my method was to let the gelatin 'bloom' unstirred in lukewarm tap water for only a couple of minutes before heating. This was the instructions on the packets. I noticed that the appearance of the solution was much different before beginning to heat. Normally, I would add the gelatin to water, stir really well and wait up to 20 minutes before beginning to heat.

This could just be a coincidence with such a small change but I am hoping to get more consistent results moving forward.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 09:55:05 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 03:56:30 pm »
Very questionable lighting but you guys get the idea.  This is just the 3rd pour from this keg... which is not even in my draft fridge yet.  It's still in the "on-deck" fridge.  Click to enlarge.

Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 03:57:47 pm »
Nice!
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 03:58:52 pm »

Very questionable lighting but you guys get the idea.  This is just the 3rd pour from this keg... which is not even in my draft fridge yet.  It's still in the "on-deck" fridge.  Click to enlarge.

Looks great!

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 04:03:45 pm »
I used gelatin for the first time last week after cold crashing to 30 and I was blown away.  When I racked the beer out of the bucket I could see the submerged end of my autosiphon.  My problem is figuring out how to snap a photo before condensation forms on the glass...

-Tony

-Tony

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 04:12:39 pm »
I used gelatin for the first time last week after cold crashing to 30 and I was blown away.  When I racked the beer out of the bucket I could see the submerged end of my autosiphon.  My problem is figuring out how to snap a photo before condensation forms on the glass...

-Tony
Yeah, I'm far from a "photographer" but the condensation is one issue and lighting is the other.  I find that most of my good shots come in outdoor/natural lighting so you can get a good clean look at the beer.  Anything I take with indoor lighting is usually poor and doesn't really capture the true look of the beer. 
Ken from Chicago.