Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gigayeast GB110 temp  (Read 2569 times)

Offline BeerInTheHand

• 1st Kit
Gigayeast GB110 temp
« on: February 12, 2016, 05:31:42 pm »
I'm going to keep the initial post to the point, if anybody has any specific questions I'll answer them, but I feel like the recipe and other specs are irrelevant. Anyhow, without further ado:

Has anyone here ever worked with the Gigayeast GB110 Lacto? I made up some wort last night (OG 1.047, boiled for 10min with no hop additions, then chilled) and pitched 2 pouches of GB110 into it at approx 100 degrees. I didn't realize that my fermenter heater was going to be as hot as it was and when I checked it a few hours later it was sitting around 112 degrees. Based on my knowledge of lacto in general, it shouldn't have harmed anything going that hot, but Gigayeast states the maximum working temp of this particular strain is approximately 98 degrees. This morning I checked it again and it was dead at 98 and had negative pressure in the airlock which I relieved when checking the temp. When I got home a little while ago, it had negative pressure in the airlock again and is sitting right around 95. I pulled a very small sample to taste it and I didn't get any tartness at all. Based on people that I've talked to and with what Gigayeast says, after 48hrs of temps in the 90's it should be, and I quote, "very sour" which would lead me to believe that it would be at least mildly tart after 24hrs.

Ultimately I'm trying to figure out if I potentially killed the lacto letting it get as hot as it did (I don't feel like it should have killed it). I'm not too terribly concerned with the lack of sourness right now, but if after tomorrow evening there is still nothing then I feel like something got screwed up. 

I did email Gigayeast and haven't heard anything back from them.

Offline danpixley

• 1st Kit
    • My YouTube
Re: Gigayeast GB110 temp
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 12:45:19 pm »
I'm going to keep the initial post to the point, if anybody has any specific questions I'll answer them, but I feel like the recipe and other specs are irrelevant. Anyhow, without further ado:

Has anyone here ever worked with the Gigayeast GB110 Lacto? I made up some wort last night (OG 1.047, boiled for 10min with no hop additions, then chilled) and pitched 2 pouches of GB110 into it at approx 100 degrees. I didn't realize that my fermenter heater was going to be as hot as it was and when I checked it a few hours later it was sitting around 112 degrees. Based on my knowledge of lacto in general, it shouldn't have harmed anything going that hot, but Gigayeast states the maximum working temp of this particular strain is approximately 98 degrees. This morning I checked it again and it was dead at 98 and had negative pressure in the airlock which I relieved when checking the temp. When I got home a little while ago, it had negative pressure in the airlock again and is sitting right around 95. I pulled a very small sample to taste it and I didn't get any tartness at all. Based on people that I've talked to and with what Gigayeast says, after 48hrs of temps in the 90's it should be, and I quote, "very sour" which would lead me to believe that it would be at least mildly tart after 24hrs.

Ultimately I'm trying to figure out if I potentially killed the lacto letting it get as hot as it did (I don't feel like it should have killed it). I'm not too terribly concerned with the lack of sourness right now, but if after tomorrow evening there is still nothing then I feel like something got screwed up. 

I did email Gigayeast and haven't heard anything back from them.

How did it turn out? 
Milk The Funk Wiki Editor - http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki

Offline BeerInTheHand

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 12:48:05 pm »
It ended up getting decently sour, it took about 4 days though. I was planning on reporting back with the results when the beer was completely done. Right now the sacc trois is chugging away, it smells fantastic.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 12:54:06 pm »
It ended up getting decently sour, it took about 4 days though. I was planning on reporting back with the results when the beer was completely done. Right now the sacc trois is chugging away, it smells fantastic.

I bet your high temps didn't outright kill off the bacteria cells, rather it may have slowed down their growth a bit to extend their acid production.

Offline BeerInTheHand

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 12:59:57 pm »

I bet your high temps didn't outright kill off the bacteria cells, rather it may have slowed down their growth a bit to extend their acid production.
Yeah, after I started to taste tartness from the wort I realized it was fine. It took it close to 48hrs before there was any detectable sourness from it. If this turns out well I'm going to try out plantarum next, the guys on MTF speak highly of it.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 01:23:30 pm »
If you are going to be fooling around with lacto primary fermentations, you should probably get a pH meter. Reliable way to measure the fermentation.

Offline danpixley

• 1st Kit
    • My YouTube
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 03:07:50 pm »

Yeah, after I started to taste tartness from the wort I realized it was fine. It took it close to 48hrs before there was any detectable sourness from it. If this turns out well I'm going to try out plantarum next, the guys on MTF speak highly of it.

Omega Labs OYL-605 is the way to go.  The cell count in the homebrew pitches is good and you don't need a starter unless you get an old pouch. 
Milk The Funk Wiki Editor - http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 03:41:40 pm »
I would suggest a starter if you want to speed up the souring process. I had one 10 gallon batch go from pH 4.4 to 2.9 in 18 hours.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BeerInTheHand

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 03:46:16 pm »
I would suggest a starter if you want to speed up the souring process. I had one 10 gallon batch go from pH 4.4 to 2.9 in 18 hours.
Normally I would have, I didn't have time to make one. Which is why I used 2 pouches of the gigayeast, which is sold in "pitchable quantities", granted one of them was a little older. Either way, it soured and I'm happy.

Offline BeerInTheHand

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 03:47:42 pm »

Omega Labs OYL-605 is the way to go.  The cell count in the homebrew pitches is good and you don't need a starter unless you get an old pouch.
Yeah, I've heard great things about Omega, we don't carry it at the LHBS I work at. Although I think there's another one in town that does.