Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeungling IPL  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Yeungling IPL
« on: December 03, 2015, 06:08:23 pm »
Has anyone else tried this beer?

I think it's quite good, though closer to an APA than an IPA. I'm one of those folks who enjoys in-your-face-hoppy beers, but prefers something more balanced. This beer is nice, nice malt flavor, fairly hoppy. The Citra in it is very evident, at least to me. At 5% ABV I'm impressed, it's a very drinkable beer and I'm sad that it's a seasonal. This would be a great beer at a humid Maryland BBQ in the summer.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Yeungling IPL
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 06:51:12 pm »
Has anyone else tried this beer?

I think it's quite good, though closer to an APA than an IPA. I'm one of those folks who enjoys in-your-face-hoppy beers, but prefers something more balanced. This beer is nice, nice malt flavor, fairly hoppy. The Citra in it is very evident, at least to me. At 5% ABV I'm impressed, it's a very drinkable beer and I'm sad that it's a seasonal. This would be a great beer at a humid Maryland BBQ in the summer.
Did it say that it used citra hops?  I didn't see that on the label and figured it tasted a bit like clusters.  At any rate it is cool to have them put out a hop forward beer.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 06:57:20 pm »
I got that from the website. I had to look up the ABV, as I couldn't find it on any of the packaging.

https://www.yuengling.com/ipl

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 09:31:22 am »
Too much sulfur for my tastes. Nicely bittered, but not one I enjoyed enough to purchase again. YMMV
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 11:37:33 am »
I'll add on a final review...after sitting in the fridge for about 10 days after we bought the six pack, the last beer tasted like straight cat pee. Beer was almost undrinkable.

I'm wondering if shelf life could be a factor in the sulfur you noticed as well? Or perhaps I'm not not that sensitive to it.

Honestly I just hope it's a sign of things to come from Yeungling. With all the distribution problems in my area and the stale beer that comes with that, Yeungling making tastier beers would be a welcome thing for certain.