Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Eisbock container  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Lager

• 1st Kit
Eisbock container
« on: December 04, 2015, 10:38:51 am »
I made an Eisbock and was wondering when it comes time to do the freezing part, what is the best container to use? I was thinking a Korny Keg. Does the freezing damage the seals? Or is there something better to use?

Thanks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Eisbock container
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 10:40:22 am »
I use a bucket.  Makes it very easy to remove the ice.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 04:08:43 pm »
I use a bucket.  Makes it very easy to remove the ice.

Did you not experience any oxidation from this? 

Besides the use of a corny keg, I have heard of some carefully racking into a 3 L sanitized soda bottle and allowing that to freeze then carefully decanting off when the beer starts to get slushy.  Haven't tried it though.  If it were me I would try the corny keg, but sounds like Denny has had success with a bucket too. 

narvin

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 05:53:00 pm »
I've used a corny before and it worked well. The trick is to shake it every couple hours while it is freezing.  You get a nice even slush.  Then after a day or so you can rack out of it.  Or maybe longer, or shorter... I haven't done this in a while.  I'm sure you've already googled it :-).