Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegging/serving beer with Brett and Sanitation  (Read 1752 times)

Offline nicosan1

• Assistant Brewer
Kegging/serving beer with Brett and Sanitation
« on: December 04, 2015, 05:36:15 pm »
Question, I have yet to play with Brett or Bugs but was thinking of doing so at some point in the near future. I know about the needs of maintaining second line of equipment for brewing/fermenting brett or sour beer but in terms of kegging and serving are there concerns about contamination of lines, kegs, faucets, kegerator beyond that?  Was wondering.  I have a 7 cu ft kegerator with three faucets next to each other. 

narvin

Re: Kegging/serving beer with Brett and Sanitation
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 05:57:40 pm »
I haven't had the guts to do it on my tap system.  I'd be more concerned about the lines and faucet than the kegs.  I do ferment and bottle lambics, guezes, krieks, and other sours, and the only precaution I take is keeping plastic fermenters and siphon tubing separate.  Never had any cross-contamination.

I'd also like to hear other peoples experience on this... some draft young lambic would be amazing. I only have two taps right now, so making one a dedicated sour line is not really an option. 

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 09:20:19 pm »
I have a labeled keg that I use for my sour/funky beers. I also use a picnic tap that is separate from my faucets along with separate fermenters, siphons, etc. I haven't had a problem yet after 3 years.
Dan Chisholm

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 12:55:36 pm »
I have separate kegs and picnic taps for my sour beers along with separate tubing, auto-siphon, and wine thief.  All is properly marked so I don't mistakenly use it on my normal beers.  This just gives me peace of mind when incorporating those brews into my normal rotation.

I know some do not worry too much about separate kegs as long as you take them fully apart and soak all rubber pieces and metal in hot PBW, followed by a hot rinse(s), along with appropriate sanitizer prior to filling.  But, once again, I would hate to inadvertently contaminate a normal beer by accident because I used a keg/tap for a sour/brett beer before it.