Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brass or Chrome Faucets?  (Read 3556 times)

Offline monk

• Cellarman
    • The Brass Monkey Brewpub
Brass or Chrome Faucets?
« on: March 29, 2010, 11:14:08 am »
Is there a difference beyond aesthetics?  I have three brass faucet bodies that need major cleaning, plus need to buy the lever, bonnets, etc.  Thinking about just buying new ones, though.  If I do, is chrome a better choice?

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
Re: Brass or Chrome Faucets?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 12:01:57 pm »
If you're going to buy new ones, the forward seal faucets are far better than the regular brass or chrome ones.  There are no parts to stick in them as there are in the other faucets.  They might be slightly more expensive but are worth the money because of the lack of problems associated with them. 

Here's a picture so you'll know what I'm talking about:

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 12:09:29 pm »
+1200 on the Forward Seals.

They are more expensive, but they work wonders, particularly in low volume serving situations like you, me and the bumblebee homebrewer.

With the regular rear seal faucets, the beer dries out on the lever mechanism basically locking the tap closed with dried goo. The forward seals don't let that happen and instead you'll get an easy open without having to feel likc you're possibly breaking your taps, tower or bar everytime you pour your first beer.

If you have a frozen tap, you'll have to break out the hot water to clean it out.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline monk

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 12:45:51 pm »
Thanks for the tips, guys.  I also read something in the brewer's association draft book that says brass imparts metallic taste sometimes.  These are very good things to consider.  Perhaps I should splurge on the faucets considering I found the tower for $20.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 07:19:39 pm »
The std rear seal faucets work fine in a jockey box or tap system designed for short term use (think events) where you will flush/ clean them after the event, or in continuous use pouring beer as in a brewpub.

For homebrew kegerator use the forward seal faucets are better, much better.

On second thought, buy the standard faucets now,  that way when you buy the foeward seal faucets (and you will buy them) you will have a set of faucets that you can re-purpose into a a portable tap box for events.

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 10:15:18 pm »
I hate polishing brass, if you want my two cents.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline monk

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 10:44:16 pm »
I have to admit, I love it when there is a massive consensus.  :)  Makes things way easier for me.  I found a site that sells a "draft beer tower kit"--basically replacing everything but your tower (faucets, shanks, etc).  I'm going to call tomorrow and see if I can substitute the perlicks for the standard faucet.  For "S/S beer faucet, S/S tower shank assembly, 5’ beer line with stainless steel tail piece, hex nut and screw clamp, and Rubber washer" it costs $64.  Seem like a good price?

http://www.kegworks.com/product.php?productid=172900&cat=407&from_page=

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 12:36:26 am »
I have the cheapo chrome faucets and I hate them. But I have been wondering if I should get new perlicks or the expensive Euro-style faucets that purportedly have a back-pressure regulator to reduce foaming issues. Has anyone else bought the Euro-style faucets?

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 10:24:21 am »
I wish someone would come out with a forward-seal SS faucet with a compensator already.
Brew on

Offline monk

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 02:33:52 pm »
I ended up ordering the new perlick s/s jobbies.  They should be here any day as I ordered from Kegworks.

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 10:34:14 am »
I ended up ordering the new perlick s/s jobbies.  They should be here any day as I ordered from Kegworks.
I have four of these, and they're great.  With four faucets, one can go several days between pours, and I haven't had one stick yet.  They're easy to clean and maintain, too.
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!