Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental Brewing podcast Episode 6  (Read 1431 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Experimental Brewing podcast Episode 6
« on: January 20, 2016, 09:28:59 am »
We report the results of our first experiment, a comparison of WLP001 and WY1056.

Hot off the podcasting presses comes episode 6 of Drew Beechum and Denny Conn's Experimental Brewing Podcast. Ever wonder what it would sound like if the Car Talk guys met with Mr. Wizard (or Bill Nye the Science Guy) at the pub for a few beers? Well in this episode, you'll really get to find out as they're joined by fellow beer experimenter Marshall Schott of Brulosophy.com to comb through the experimental data produced by the podcast's listeners. Will you be as surprised by the results of a simple yeast choice as our three panelists? Denny said "I was curious to see if there was anything to my impressions." Drew still thinks Denny's all wrong. Marshall just sat back and shook his head at the math.

If that's not enough - the guys tackle the latest in Beer News, listener questions, David Bowie and have a very raucous conversation with San Francisco Bay Area brewing guru - Rodger Davis of Faction Brewing.

Who knew science and beer could be so intoxicating?

Find a new episode every two weeks on ExperimentalBrew.com or subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher or your favorite podcast app!

Contact Denny and Drew at podcast@experimentalbrew.com
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Experimental Brewing podcast Episode 6
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 09:55:27 am »
Good show guys. I nearly got a contact high from the interview.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 10:02:10 am »
Good show guys. I nearly got a contact high from the interview.

Yeah, we'd had a few beers before talking to Rodger....he'd had a few more.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 06:08:51 pm »
Finally had a chance to listen to the podcast, and I really enjoyed it. I'll definitely make the time for these episodes in the future.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 06:11:27 pm »
I kept thinking he was going to bust out a pitch for 7 minute abs. Reminded me of talking to my old roommate when he was a fifth deep into the weekend.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 04:20:17 pm »
It's a shame Roger was so wrecked, by the time you got to some interesting brewing questions he was having a hard time stringing together coherent sentences. He sounds a lot like Sterling Archer when he's drunk. Still a great interview, despite the missed bleeps (there was a whole string of them right after the "what's your favorite cuss word" part).

On the 001 vs 1056 experiment, I'm only mildly surprised. Obviously, the experiment has to be set up simply to get more participation and to make sure that everyone was testing the same thing. Having said that, I wonder how much of the difference is due to production and packaging differences vs actual genetic drift. If you ever run a "master class" experiment, it would be interesting to see if there is still as much of a difference after 3-4 generations, or if the two strains become more similar.

Great work as always, guys!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 09:36:40 pm »
Longish, but I enjoyed it.  Can't wait to pick up on the rest of the interview with Roger!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 09:37:32 am »
Longish, but I enjoyed it.  Can't wait to pick up on the rest of the interview with Roger!

I'm gonna do my best to make sure that there's never another one that long.  Not only is it tiring to listen to, but the editing just about kills me!

www.dennybrew.com