Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Priming Sugar Error... Can you help?  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Jspan

• 1st Kit
Priming Sugar Error... Can you help?
« on: December 05, 2015, 03:20:15 pm »
On my second batch of home brew I made a red ale then split into three secondaries for treatment (Peach, Rum Soaked Oak Chips, and Hibiscus.) When it came time to bottle I added the 5 oz bag of priming sugar to boiling water... and used a priming sugar calculator then pulled that much water with priming sugar out...

After done bottling I realized that the sugar calculator was telling me amount of just sugar (not with water.) So now my beer is bottled, but without enough priming sugar since I measured after adding to water.

Any ideas of what I should do to fix?

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Priming Sugar Error... Can you help?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 05:16:47 pm »
Probably the easiest thing to do would be to get some carbonation/priming tabs,--there are many types and brands--open up the bottles, put a tab or two in the bottle and re-cap.

You could also just carefully put about one half teaspoon of plain old table sugar in each bottle and recap. The tablets are pretty much the same thing, just easier to get in the bottle.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 12:40:49 pm »
Not really clear. You mixed the 5oz priming sugar with water for simple syrup, then divided that into thirds using 1/3 for each batch? If so, you're fine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 02:47:09 pm »
Not really clear. You mixed the 5oz priming sugar with water for simple syrup, then divided that into thirds using 1/3 for each batch? If so, you're fine
We definitely need some clarification. If you did what was said above, then you're fine. I'm reading this a bit differently, though.

To me, it sounds like you made a syrup using the 5oz of sugar, then used a priming calculator to determine how many ounces of sugar to add. At that point, you added that many ounces of syrup rather than that many ounces of dry sugar to each batch.

If that's the case, then I think you should just make do with slightly undercarbonated beer. First of all, it will be tough to determine exactly how much sugar made it into each beer without knowing the exact concentration of the final syrup. Second, 5oz of sugar is almost always too much for a typical 5-gallon batch. You will probably end up with a beer that is carbonated on the low side, but not undrinkably flat. Rather than mucking around with how many milligrams of sugar to dose in each bottle (which is do-able, but not worth the effort), just chalk it up as a learning lesson and drink it as-is.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 08:21:34 am »
What percentage of the syrup did you use? And how much water did you use. Eric is right, 5oz is usually too much.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.