Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why does my final beer taste so yeasty  (Read 3838 times)

Offline jackmarshall77

• 1st Kit
Re: Why does my final beer taste so yeasty
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2016, 11:46:45 pm »
To the original post, because it has so much yeast in it, use a syphon as recommended. If you are using a one gallon carboy you will need a small syphon, the bigger ones won't fit through the neck of some carboys. But that is not why it is over gassed, that is because fermentation was unfinished when you bottled. If you were brewing with honey in the original brew it has a very complex structure and can take a long time to fully ferment.
Never heard of a single death from exploding bottles- obviously not best to let them mature in the baby's cot, but if the are in the cupboard it will just make a mess. It's all about experiments and stuff ups. Most of us have exploded a bottle at some point.
The great thing about one gallon is you have not lost much, just have another go

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline jackmarshall77

• 1st Kit
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2016, 11:48:08 pm »
Sorry best if you put the beer in the cupboard rather than yourself

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2016, 06:37:44 am »
Is the OP still here? I'm curious if you tried refrigerating a few days and what happened.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2016, 07:27:14 am »
Refrigeration will help drop the yeast out to make the beer taste less yeasty but the overflowing bottles upon opening will likely continue (just open them in the sink, pour relatively gently/quickly into a large glass - you're going to lose a ton of carbonation but you'll at least get to enjoy some of the beer before it all foams out of the bottle). Any significant amount of trub/yeast in the bottle will provide a lot of points for CO2 nucleation. I had this happen the first few times I bottled when I tried to get too greedy with the amount of beer I was racking out of the carboy. It'll be yeast dependent, but I'd let those bottles sit in the fridge for a week to really try to drop the yeast out.

Good luck. Your experience is a good learning tool. I bet you won't forget next time!

Offline wdbrewman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2016, 07:23:43 pm »
Thank you all for your input and knowledge and I will definitely try some of these ideas and I won't make the same mistake again lol :P