Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ale fermentation times  (Read 3889 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Ale fermentation times
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2015, 05:08:21 pm »
Most (if not all) of my moderate gravity ales are in the keg by week 2 (even IPA's that are around 1.065-1070).  That includes a cold crashing as well.  As the OG of my beers increases, I start to leave them to condition a bit longer.  3 weeks for some stronger beers, and 4 wks (tops) for my really high ABV ones. 

-this does not account for when I brew with WY 3724 saison strain which takes upwards of 6 wks in primary sometimes.... :o

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 08:08:38 am »

I usually get to FG or damn close in 3-4 days.  At that point I raise the temp to about 70-72 for a couple days or until I know FG is reached.  Then down to 33F for maybe 3-4 days.  Then carb and drink a day or two later.

This is my experience.  I usually bump my temp on the 4-5th day.  I will add that I'm having favorable results with pitching my starter at HK.  When I can really schedule my pitches that is.  I'm having better results vs. stir plate, chill, and decant. By that I mean I think the beers taste cleaner.  The start of  fermentation is faster.  Might be a good split batch exbeerment.   
Jeff B

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2015, 08:24:37 am »
All of my beers, ales or lagers, get 2 weeks in the primary. They're usually done within a week (3-5 days), in which case I'll ramp the temp up a bit (up to 65F for lagers and maybe up to 70F for ales if it's that warm in my house) and let them clean up for a week.

I don't brew much over 1.070 either, fwifw.
Jesse

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2015, 08:57:58 am »
All of my beers, ales or lagers, get 2 weeks in the primary. They're usually done within a week (3-5 days), in which case I'll ramp the temp up a bit (up to 65F for lagers and maybe up to 70F for ales if it's that warm in my house) and let them clean up for a week.

Exact same mode of operation here. I can only brew on Sundays typically so every two weeks works out well for my schedule. I have two ferm. chambers but brewing every week gets to be a bit much after a while.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2015, 09:05:06 am »

Exact same mode of operation here. I can only brew on Sundays typically so every two weeks works out well for my schedule. I have two ferm. chambers but brewing every week gets to be a bit much after a while.

Pretty much same thing I do for normal strength beers. It often goes to 3 weeks in my case, mostly due to work/family schedule. Big beers often get left in primary for a month.
Jon H.