Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast issue  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Yeast issue
« on: December 06, 2015, 02:35:00 pm »

I brewed yesterday but had to hurry towards the end because it took longer than I thought and I had a time commitment for early evening with friends.

In short, I didn't add all the yeast from my  WLP 013  to 5.5 gals of `1.060 wort.  I had the tube at room temp. about 65 F and added to the wort which I placed in a large tub of 60 F water.  I shook the tube, sanitized the outside and poured it in.  But today, I noticed the tube still felt a bit heavy and there is still some sludge of yeast remaining in the tube.

It's been about 24 hours with the fermenter sitting in a 60 F water bath, and I'm  seeing little if any signs of active fermentation.

Should I wait 24 hours and see what happens?

Warm the yeast tube and mix the contents with some wort from the fermenter to help liquify the remaining contents of the yeast tube then pitch it?

Or hydrate some dry yeast and pitch it?

Suggestions please and thanks in advance for your help.

It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Yeast issue
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 02:55:04 pm »
How much yeast was left in the vial?  If you gave it a good shake and added it to your fermenter then you most likely got most of it in the wort.  I do know what you mean though with those WL vials.  Sometimes a small disc of yeast remains in the very bottom dimple of the vial  (why I don't like using the old WL vials).  At this point, unless you left half the vial in there, I would say that adding the very small remaining amount of yeast will not make a difference. 

You are probably not seeing fermentation yet b/c you most likely under pitched for your 1.060 OG wort with just one vial (especially if the vial was a few mos old).  Did you aerate your wort properly? Is 60F too cool for that strain?  Maybe try warming it up a bit and see what you get (65F or so)?

If you don't see any signs of fermentation by 36-40 hrs, then I would pitch some properly rehydrated dry yeast, but I would bet you will see fermentation by then.  Keep us posted please! 

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 03:07:00 pm »
I aerated the wort with a sanitized paint stirrer and an electric drill.  After double checking the white labs page, 60 F is low.  I'll put some warm water in bottles into the tub and raise the water bath enough to get it started fermenting, then maybe cool it down a bit because once active fermentation starts it will raise the tmp of the wort somewhat.

Thanks
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 03:44:16 am »
I've now got active fermentation going on: krausen plus bubbling in the airlock.  Hopefully it will be good after the yeast has done the heavy lifting.

Thanks

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 06:04:25 am »
You're better off making a starter at that starting OG, every time.