Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anyone following any of the World Cup?  (Read 6044 times)

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
Anyone following any of the World Cup?
« on: June 15, 2010, 02:06:22 am »
I'm not a huge fan but I love having another venue for the world to compete. The teams I am watching
USA
Mexico
Germany
Argentina
Brazil  -only cause they are the like the Yankees of the futbol world...

Ohhhhhh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCcirGy9RPU

Go USA!

FIFA.com
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 02:09:33 am by rabid_dingo »
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Anyone following any of the World Cup?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 05:14:06 am »
I actually watched much of the USA vs England. Reminded me that soccer is just slightly more exciting to watch than golf.  ;)

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 06:10:32 am »
What's the world cup?  Can I pour a pint in to it?
Actually would like to hear that Team USA does well.  I say hear because I doubt I would watch it.
Don AHA member

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 06:11:36 am »
I actually watched much of the USA vs England. Reminded me that soccer is just slightly more exciting to watch than golf.  ;)

You might like this, Major:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noOHdTQd6H8

I've caught a little of a couple games, but the weather has been beautiful (after a week of rain), so I couldn't stand sitting in front of the TV when I could be outside enjoying the sun and setting up a hop trellis.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 06:59:26 am »
I think since Americans generally don't play the game growing up, they're less likely to watch. Those horns constantly blowing during the games are EXTREMELY annoying.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 07:03:13 am »
I think since Americans generally don't play the game growing up, they're less likely to watch. Those horns constantly blowing during the games are EXTREMELY annoying.

Because even as children Americans realize that the game is boring

Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 07:09:49 am »
LMAO! :D

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 07:19:54 am »
Those horns constantly blowing during the games are EXTREMELY annoying.

In Germany you get those with the purchase of a case of beer. And they are annoying the heck out of people. Some even watch the games w/o sound.

As for the excitement of the game, how is baseball or football more exciting than soccer. In those games you have a commercial break every 5 min, it seems, which is why soccer is not very popular with TV brodacasters. I don't follow soccer much, though.

Kai

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 07:25:34 am »
As for the excitement of the game, how is baseball or football more exciting than soccer. In those games you have a commercial break every 5 min, it seems, which is why soccer is not very popular with TV brodacasters. I don't follow soccer much, though.

Kai

+ A MILLION on the baseball being boring. Did the little league thing and all, but it's just too boring to watch.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 07:27:21 am »
I knew Kai would chime in.  ;) American football is much more cerebral than soccer, even with the lame commercials. It is more like chess. I know people say soccer has an element of strategy as well. But, from watching it, I can't really tell what it is. But I will give my understanding.

Soccer is mostly about passing the ball. The excitement does not really come from scoring, but from getting close to scoring (otherwise who would watch a 1 - 1 tie?). So, when a score finally does come people have at least one ... maybe two times during the game to really cheer. So the game is mostly based on suspense of getting close to scoring.

FTR: Baseball is boring as hell too. And I can't stand hockey either. Basically the same thing as soccer, but on ice, with sticks. Boxing and American Football are really the only two spectator sports I can tolerate to watch.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 07:29:21 am by majorvices »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 07:31:44 am »
BTW: I definitely thing that soccer is more appealing to the rest of the world because almost everyone has played soccer in those countries. I also think that, up until recently, soccer was easier to break into on the professional level than, say, American Football. You don't have to be 6'5" and 250lbs+ to play soccer. I can actually respect that.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 07:32:38 am »

FTR: Baseball is boring as hell too. And I can't stand hockey either.

"Baseball is a simple game...you throw the ball, you hit the ball, you catch the ball"...not a game for lollygaggers!

Hockey is like Nascar, some only watch for the hitting or fights ( or crashes ).

Now curling...there's some excitement for you!!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 07:33:45 am »
Nascar, now that is just silly. I'd rather watch soccer any day than Nascar.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 07:54:32 am »
It's funny that I live about 10 miles from The Monster Mile in Dover, DE and I have never been there for a race. As far as Nascar goes I could take it or leave it...and I feel the same way about soccer. I played soccer all through my youth and high school. Soccer is very fun to play but boring to watch IMHO.

The rest of the world is totally into the sport as we are into baseball and football. There's really not a big interest into soccer as the there is in ROW.

It's just really never caught on here in the states as it has been a staple around the world.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 09:10:09 am by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline sienabrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 08:00:37 am »
Soccer is no different from any other game in that if you do not understand it you will not enjoy it.  I grew up watching it, talking about it, and played it at the Divsion I level.  The World Cup for me right now is like the NCAA tourney every year.  I'm not getting any work done when a game is on.  Baseball is horribly boring, football gets annoying with all the stoppages and advertisments (it's rare that I can sit through a whole game, but that's probably because my team has sucked for most of my life), NBA is usually 1 or 2 people score and the rest of the team just runs around or stands outside the arc, golf is...well golf, and hockey I can tolerate especially if it is a live event.  But, the numebr one thing I can't stand about all American sports is that when you win your league you are somehow the "World Champion".  What a crock.