Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anyone following any of the World Cup?  (Read 6004 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Anyone following any of the World Cup?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 08:03:00 am »
Soccer is no different from any other game in that if you do not understand it you will not enjoy it. 

You kick the ball into the net... what's to understand? ;)

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 08:05:05 am »
Tried watching a little bit but I kept getting this constant buzzing in my ears.  Had to turn it off.
Joe

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 08:05:57 am »
When I was living in NC I got into baseball quite a bit and was surprised how exciting that game can actually be. But now I just don't have the time to watch any games.

One thing about German soccer (or Fussball) that you have to keep in mind is that it is by far the most popular spectator sport. Here in the US you have baseball, football, basket ball and hockey which have about the same popularity and their seasons don't overlap much to support that. There are other sports in Germany as well but they are much less popular.

The other difference in Germany is that teams are not franchises of the mother organization. They are independent and they can rise and fall through the different levels of soccer leagues.

Kai

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 09:00:21 am »
The only time I found soccer interesting was when Brandi Chastain celebrated her game winning penalty goal in the 1999 FIFA Women's World Cup against China.   :o

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 10:46:04 am »
I knew Kai would chime in.  ;) American football is much more cerebral than soccer, even with the lame commercials. It is more like chess. I know people say soccer has an element of strategy as well. But, from watching it, I can't really tell what it is. But I will give my understanding.

Soccer is mostly about passing the ball. The excitement does not really come from scoring, but from getting close to scoring (otherwise who would watch a 1 - 1 tie?). So, when a score finally does come people have at least one ... maybe two times during the game to really cheer. So the game is mostly based on suspense of getting close to scoring.

FTR: Baseball is boring as hell too. And I can't stand hockey either. Basically the same thing as soccer, but on ice, with sticks. Boxing and American Football are really the only two spectator sports I can tolerate to watch.

+1 of football being cerebral though the violence of the game doesnt hurt its popularity.
To me the soccer field is just too big and there are too many players.

I'll ignore the hockey comment...............
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 10:46:59 am »
It's funny that I live about 10 miles from The Monster Mile in Dover, DE and I have never been there for a race. As far as Nascar goes I could take it or leave it...and I feel the same way about soccer. I played soccer all through my youth and high school. Soccer is very fun to play but boring to watch IMHO.

The rest of the world is totally into the sport as we are into baseball and football. There's really not a big interest into soccer as the there is in ROW.

It's just really never caught on here in the states as it has been a staple around the world.

We're planning a trip to the Dover/DC area next year.
I'll have to look you up. That track is one of the best in NASCAR
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 10:52:17 am »
It's funny that I live about 10 miles from The Monster Mile in Dover, DE and I have never been there for a race. As far as Nascar goes I could take it or leave it...and I feel the same way about soccer. I played soccer all through my youth and high school. Soccer is very fun to play but boring to watch IMHO.

The rest of the world is totally into the sport as we are into baseball and football. There's really not a big interest into soccer as the there is in ROW.

It's just really never caught on here in the states as it has been a staple around the world.

We're planning a trip to the Dover/DC area next year.
I'll have to look you up. That track is one of the best in NASCAR

Sounds like a plan.

Dogfishhead brewery is in Milton, DE.

Not too far from Dover.

Ron Price

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 06:21:00 am »
I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more vuvuzela!!

The few bits of games that I've watched, I haven't found the horns annoying - I kinda think its neat that there are so many people blowing them that it results in a constant buzzing drone.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 08:11:53 am »
I wish they had cricket on TV these days, that's a sport I could knock back pints to.  Of course the only folks who have even the remotest inkling of what cricket is in this town are a few weird anglophiles like me and the computer science department of my alma mater, most of whom hail from South Asia and have been known to get the bats and wickets out on the university grounds at times.

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 08:41:48 am »
I wish they had cricket on TV these days, that's a sport I could knock back pints to.  Of course the only folks who have even the remotest inkling of what cricket is in this town are a few weird anglophiles like me and the computer science department of my alma mater, most of whom hail from South Asia and have been known to get the bats and wickets out on the university grounds at times.

It looks like a fun game, but I haven't the faintest idea on the rules.

A couple of work buddies and I were out of town on course - the pub we spent the evening at was showing a hurling match.  We had no idea what we were watching, but couln't look away.  It looked like field hockey, mixed with lacrosse and the players were allowed to tackle each other. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurling )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKNpMEOM0_Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmzivRetelE
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:00:27 am by akr71 »
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline vista

• Assistant Brewer
  • Orange, CT
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 03:40:12 pm »
this is unreal, as i was reading this thread i recalled a time i was at one of my local watering holes that happens to be an irish pub, my friends and i were absolutely captivated by a hurling match. we had never seen anything like it and were amazed to watch a bunch of toothless dudes run around with no helmets or pads swinging around wooden death weapons. it was fast, intense, and even though i had no idea what the rules were it was just amazing. the enthusiasm throughout the game by the fans was also fun to watch.

i love the world cup...it's a shame soccer is not followed more in the states. someone posted their disagreement about how the various leagues in america deem their champions 'world champions'. i have to say, in baseball, basketball, and football the US has arguably the best talent brought in from all over the world, so to say world champions is not really a far fetched claim. however, the MLS could never claim a world champion for their league...just a thought i guess.
Take it easy...

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2010, 03:13:05 am »
I definitely dig the World Cup. I enjoyed some Tripel Karmeliet during the USA vs. England match. I might have to bring out the New Glarus Raspberry Tart for the Slovakia match. It's the only American beer I have (I have an American pale ale I just bottled that I'll probably crack on July 4).

I'm participating in a pool at work. I drew Cameroon, so I'm cheering for them as much as the US. I think the US has a better chance.

I'm also a fan of the MLS, though I follow it much less now that I'm not in the USA. Go Rapids!

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2010, 07:27:20 am »
WTF, Germany lost against Serbia.

Kai

Offline sienabrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2010, 07:51:05 am »

Kai

I agree, pretty shocking considering their last performance.  You need to look at it this way though, I think they were lucky with a 1-0 loss.  Serbia easily could have, and should have, put 2 more on them.  If I am a fan of Germany I would be very, very worried about the final game against Ghana and the prospect of advancing to the knock out round.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 08:27:41 am by sienabrewer »

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2010, 10:51:15 am »

Kai

;D

PS - USA totally got robbed!  >:(
The moral majority, is neither.