Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation Heaters...  (Read 10736 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Fermentation Heaters...
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2015, 03:26:25 pm »
My 12.2 gal MoreBeer conical is in two nested collapsable trash cans.  The larger can is the cover and lifts off very easily for access.  Inside the bottom is a space heater controlled by a Ranco controller with the probe in a thermowell inside the wort.  This baby lets me easily ramp my Saison temperatures up into the stratosphere, even when my basement is in the 50's.  Hence, the name Saisonical.

Space heater + nylon = scares me.

I use an aquarium (fish tank) heater.  I put the carboy in a water bath in a rubbermaid bin and put the heater in the water.  I haven't been able to acheive the 90 degrees people say 3724 really likes, but it warms up well over ambient.  I still worry about the thing shorting out, or melting through the bin.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2015, 03:30:26 pm »
My 12.2 gal MoreBeer conical is in two nested collapsable trash cans.  The larger can is the cover and lifts off very easily for access.  Inside the bottom is a space heater controlled by a Ranco controller with the probe in a thermowell inside the wort.  This baby lets me easily ramp my Saison temperatures up into the stratosphere, even when my basement is in the 50's.  Hence, the name Saisonical.

Space heater + nylon = scares me.

I use an aquarium (fish tank) heater.  I put the carboy in a water bath in a rubbermaid bin and put the heater in the water.  I haven't been able to acheive the 90 degrees people say 3724 really likes, but it warms up well over ambient.  I still worry about the thing shorting out, or melting through the bin.

I like where you're going with that.

Maybe the perfect excuse to pull the trigger on a sou vide cooker?
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2015, 03:43:10 pm »
I like where you're going with that.

Maybe the perfect excuse to pull the trigger on a sou vide cooker?

Can you cook and ferment saison at the same time?

I have a friend who built a sou vide cooker.  I don't know what he eventually did with it, but for a while everything got cooked that way.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2015, 04:14:37 pm »
You guys with the heating cables could you provide a link? If it's sufficient and requires no work, I wouldn't mind spending an extra $5-10 for a ready to plug in unit, already have a temp controller.

Heat Tape by the foot ($3/ea): http://www.reptilebasics.com/12-heat-tape
Plug kit ($4): http://www.reptilebasics.com/thg-amp-wireset (+$1 option so RB connects it all for you)
Pay for shipping and your done - it's ready to plug into a controller.

Thanks, suggested # of feet? I'll probably order two sets.

The best way is to measure the vessel you want to heat. I was buying for buckets and I went with 2'8" to leave about a 4" gap (I went in with two friends so it was 8' total and we cut it down/assembled ourselves).  They specify that the heater tape should never overlap on itself, so I choose to heed that advice. You can always buy a little longer than needed and cut it back yourself - you'll just need to cover the two cut copper strips if you do it this way (electrical tape works). Hope this helps.

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2015, 08:05:25 pm »
I just use a 40-W light bulb in an old lamp socket. It's what I had on hand at the time, and I've never had a need to upgrade it.

Offline Whiskers

• Cellarman
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2015, 08:16:27 pm »
Incandescent bulb in the ferm chamber.  Stainless fermentor so I don't have to worry about light exposure. 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2015, 07:24:28 am »
SS conical has a fermwrap, and a 60 Watt bulb in a shop trouble light that hangs from the dump valve elbow. Both are on a temp controller that has the probe in a thermowell. The cardboard shipping box is the surround. Nothing hot ever gets close to it, so no worries.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2015, 08:46:19 am »
I use reptile tape which is similar to fermwrap but cheaper and available in different sizes. It can raise beer temperature about ten degrees on its own and 20+ degrees inside my fermentation fridge. Running this on a Johnson controller I can set a smooth ramp up and maintain stable warm temperatures within 1-2 degrees.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline gspot

• Cellarman
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2015, 05:15:52 am »

You guys with the heating cables could you provide a link? If it's sufficient and requires no work, I wouldn't mind spending an extra $5-10 for a ready to plug in unit, already have a temp controller.

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Reptile-Cable-14-75-Feet/dp/B001OVBEEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449749599&sr=8-1&keywords=Reptile+heat+cable

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2015, 08:28:52 am »
Right now as its not too cold out yet I have my latest batch out in the fermentation freezer in the garage. Temps have been in the 40's so keeping the fermentation in the mid upper 60's with an electric Sunbeam heating pad has been fine. Come dead of winter though Im not sure how well the heating pad will work. I use a small space heater at times but because of the high temp safety features built, in it kicks out when used in an small enclosure.

I think I kind of like the idea of a heat lamp the best...might have to try that as it gets colder in the garage.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2015, 08:40:28 am »
Right now as its not too cold out yet I have my latest batch out in the fermentation freezer in the garage. Temps have been in the 40's so keeping the fermentation in the mid upper 60's with an electric Sunbeam heating pad has been fine. Come dead of winter though Im not sure how well the heating pad will work. I use a small space heater at times but because of the high temp safety features built, in it kicks out when used in an small enclosure.

I think I kind of like the idea of a heat lamp the best...might have to try that as it gets colder in the garage.
The ceramic reptile lamps with a safety cage. (basically a fancy trouble light) works great in a fermentation freezer. Set in on a pyrex pie plate on the condenser shelf and your good to go.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2015, 08:47:52 am »

The ceramic reptile lamps with a safety cage. (basically a fancy trouble light) works great in a fermentation freezer. Set in on a pyrex pie plate on the condenser shelf and your good to go.

What is a good wattage to go with for a reptile heat emitter in this setup? Thanks

Online toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2015, 09:07:56 am »

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Reptile-Cable-14-75-Feet/dp/B001OVBEEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449749599&sr=8-1&keywords=Reptile+heat+cable

I use the 23 foot version of that in my chest freezer chamber.  I have it strung up in a descending loop using outdoor light hooks (www.amazon.com/Command-17017CLR-AW-E-Clips-Strips-Outdoor/dp/B00SH2CDCG/) which are rated to ~120F.  The best part about these is that they're made to be installed in the terrarium around branches and whatnot, so they do not get hot to the touch, but keep the chamber at the proper temp.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2015, 09:21:27 am »

What is a good wattage to go with for a reptile heat emitter in this setup? Thanks

I would say 60-100. I believe I went with the 60W unit because my fermentation freezer is only 14.5 CF. My theory (completely unverified) is that a 60W bulb may provide a "gentler" less intense radiance of heat.  Works great with a Ranco dual stage controller. Lots of controller options are out there these days though.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline gspot

• Cellarman
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2015, 10:03:08 am »

I use the 23 foot version of that in my chest freezer chamber.  I have it strung up in a descending loop using outdoor light hooks (www.amazon.com/Command-17017CLR-AW-E-Clips-Strips-Outdoor/dp/B00SH2CDCG/) which are rated to ~120F.  The best part about these is that they're made to be installed in the terrarium around branches and whatnot, so they do not get hot to the touch, but keep the chamber at the proper temp.
That's EXACTLY what I do, Command hooks and all, except I've got mine in an ascending loop starting from the bottom

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk