Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BJCP Mead Exam... results  (Read 2841 times)

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
BJCP Mead Exam... results
« on: December 08, 2015, 05:26:10 am »
Pretty jazzed. Woke up to find my scores from my July BJCP Mead Exam in my inbox. I got a total 80 score! 82 in tasting and 79 on the written.

Clearly I need more experience judging and missed just a few key points on the written, but most of my RTP indicated National and Master. Really happy with that. Now waiting for my Beer Tasting exam results... this makes me feel better about that. The mead judging was much harder, IMO.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: BJCP Mead Exam... results
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 05:33:08 am »
That's really awesome! Good job

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 05:38:38 am »
Good job!  8)

I'm kinda cheating on the mead exam and have waited until the program switched from tasting/written to online/tasting. I certainly don't want to take another written!  ;D
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 06:08:28 am »
Doing the written and then immediately following up with 3 meads was pretty brutal. I had to judge a local comp right after - and I think those sheets were some of the worse sheets I have ever scored. I was so fatigued.

So much fun though... had great classes hosted by Meridian Hive here in Austin.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 06:18:38 am »
Congratulations Matt! I knew you would pass when you liked my meads.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 08:43:27 am »
Congrats!

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 03:16:26 pm »
Congrats Matt!

Any tips/resources?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 03:30:15 pm »
Congrats!
Jon H.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 03:43:03 pm »
Thanks everyone.

Any tips/resources?

The study guide at BJCP.org is pretty complete. That plus a solid read through Schramm's book and perhaps Piatz's book will catch you up on SNA and some of the recipe and fermentation nuances. Not sure how this changes with the new format - but I expect the online test will be fairly rigorous.

I was fortunate that the meadsters at Meridian Hive Meadery hosted the classes, organized by Neil Spake. Eric Lowe and Mike Simmons ran the classes, and we tasted MANY meads right next to the varietal honeys in raw form. I think this was the hardest connection to make - so many honeys taste completely and unexpectedly different than their unfermented form. Nothing replaces real world off flavor tasting either - so Eric and Mike really ran a great series of classes. Schoppe took the test and scored better than I did (of course), but also brought 5-6 amazing meads from his cellar - so I got to taste some 45+ scoring meads.

Finally, looking at my RTP report - carefully read the questions very carefully and answer all of the questions and expectations specifically. I missed some bits like, Describe the attributes of... which was like the 4th or 5th element in a question relative to a varietal or off flavor.

BTW, the folks that didn't score as well this session have never made mead... so make some!
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 04:01:52 pm »
Thanks!

I've had a bunch of mead from some local clubs but still haven't gotten around to making any, let alone buying any of the different honey varietals :( (broke college student life). B. Nektar used to be about 20 minutes away before I moved, so that was nice.

I've read up on SNA a bit, but I'll will look for their books.

Have you read up on anyone experimenting with different yeasts? I've heard good success about using 3787 in some meads and requires less aging before it starts turning the corner.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 06:11:36 pm »
Have you read up on anyone experimenting with different yeasts?

Some, but not a lot of experimenting from sources that I would trust... I have done some blended fermentations with wine yeasts, but find some of the meads fermented with ale yeasts to be a bit wierd in general... same with ciders. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, but the BJCP training will not cover much outside of the traditional wine yeast + nutrient + water format. AND very little on historic or experimental meads, such as Tej or even bochet's. It is very focused on traditionals, melomels, cysers, metheglins and maybe a pyment; really hitting the basics first.

Gotmead.com is a good resource as well... and more old school mazers as well as a few of the experimenters.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 07:03:17 pm »

Some, but not a lot of experimenting from sources that I would trust... I have done some blended fermentations with wine yeasts, but find some of the meads fermented with ale yeasts to be a bit wierd in general... same with ciders. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, but the BJCP training will not cover much outside of the traditional wine yeast + nutrient + water format. AND very little on historic or experimental meads, such as Tej or even bochet's. It is very focused on traditionals, melomels, cysers, metheglins and maybe a pyment; really hitting the basics first.

Gotmead.com is a good resource as well... and more old school mazers as well as a few of the experimenters.
I'm doing a tej soon. I might start a thread about it. The info on the web sucks, so I would like to see if there is other experience out there.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 07:12:14 pm »
I am quite curious about tej... although most descriptions don't sound very appetizing.  In college, did a small batch of chicha beer for my archaeology class that turned out interesting... Only my instructor was willing to sample, which led to an invite for a Mayan Guinea pig and chile feast. It was a weird night.

I have been told that the herbs we can get through usual channels here are not prepped properly nor the yeasts appropriate for tej. Who knows? I don't know any natives that have first hand experience. So sour/lactic and grassy/minty = pretty general. Would be cool to travel to Africa and do some research.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 05:46:11 am »
I'm having trouble finding good info online about making tej. I watched a video where they just plopped gesho sticks into honey and water and didn't pitch any yeast. It got moldy before it started fermenting then they stirred it right in. I don't know about that. Every site is all over the map. Some call gesho a type of hops which clearly its not. Some call it honey wine some call it honey beer. I have only had a commercial example at restaurants twice I believe. I think the next step is to see if there are any books out there. I have also seen different accounts of which part of the gesho plant to use so that's really the first thing to nail down.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 07:31:22 am »

I'm doing a tej soon. I might start a thread about it. The info on the web sucks, so I would like to see if there is other experience out there.

I had some tej made by an Ethiopian friend of Ken Schramm. Wow was that good stuff.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!