Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: German Altbier  (Read 9462 times)

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
German Altbier
« on: December 09, 2015, 11:11:53 pm »
Hey guys I am finishing up the semester and I have been on a brewing spree. Recently I have been wanting to get into German style beers and have been working on this recipe for a while. Let me know what you guys think. Cheers!

Grain Bill:
- 10lbs Weyermann-Barke Munich malt
- 6oz White wheat malt
-1oz Carafa Special III
Hop Schedule:
-1oz German Spalt @ 60min
-1oz German Spalt @ 30min
Yeast:
-WLP036 Dusseldorf Alt Yeast
-Expected attenuation=75%
Stats:
OG:1.050
FG:1.012
IBU:36.3
SRM:14.38
ABV:4.8%

I plan on doing a Double Decoction Mash, skipping out on the acid rest. Mash in at 122F, hit 155F with my first decoction and mash out temps with the second decoction. I know a lot of people from what I have read would opt for a single infusion which is what I usually do but I wanted to try something different. I also am doing a 90 minute boil. I am basing my recipe off the information I got off of Brew Your Own. Any feedback is a appreciated, thanks again.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 09:34:17 am by IMperry9 »
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Authentic Dusseldorf Altbier
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 04:56:16 am »
You need at least half of that Munich malt to be Pilsner malt IMO. And I'm not sure what makes "white wheat" malt authentic, though it certainly won't hurt anything. You also need at least 1 oz of Spalt aroma addition. Personally I feel the decoction is a waste of time but if you prefer the extra effort go for it!

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 07:28:03 am »
I was on the quest to brew a good altbier for a while. FWIW, I have gotten a lot of recommendations for WY1007 over WLP036 for an alt. I like about 20% Munich malt in mine but I have seen a lot that are predominantly pilsner with a very small amount of crystal (caramunich) and roasted malt (carafa).

Denny has posted the clone recipe for Zum Uerige around a lot over the years which follows that basic idea.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 07:37:24 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 07:57:41 am »
You need at least half of that Munich malt to be Pilsner malt IMO. And I'm not sure what makes "white wheat" malt authentic, though it certainly won't hurt anything. You also need at least 1 oz of Spalt aroma addition. Personally I feel the decoction is a waste of time but if you prefer the extra effort go for it!

I agree 100%.

If you end up doing the decoction then plan for some extra lagering time (at least that's what I've found).

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 08:21:56 am »
Decoction might not be a waste.... but don't ever do a protein rest at 122 F, as it will kill your body and head retention.  Protein rests are a thing of the past.  If you still want to try a double decoction, try resting at 143 F and 158 F, that should do the trick.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 08:24:43 am »
Thanks for the feedback everybody. I have considered most of the things you guys have mention and have read similar things. However I want to do the decoction mash to see how the process works and don't mind the extra work/time. The all Munich recipe from here is where I am basing my recipe. https://byo.com/hops/item/582-dusseldorf-altbier-style-profile. I think I am going to stick with the Munich malt with a touch a wheat for body. I will definitely add some Spalt hops for aroma and I will probably stick with WLP036 because I already have it. Overall I will probably tweak it a little bit but will leave most of it for this first batch. Cheers!
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 08:26:21 am »
Interesting I didn't even think about that. So in that instance I would mash in at 143F decoction to raise temp to 158F then decoction to mash out?
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 08:48:31 am »
Thanks for the feedback everybody. I have considered most of the things you guys have mention and have read similar things. However I want to do the decoction mash to see how the process works and don't mind the extra work/time. The all Munich recipe from here is where I am basing my recipe. https://byo.com/hops/item/582-dusseldorf-altbier-style-profile. I think I am going to stick with the Munich malt with a touch a wheat for body. I will definitely add some Spalt hops for aroma and I will probably stick with WLP036 because I already have it. Overall I will probably tweak it a little bit but will leave most of it for this first batch. Cheers!

Malts (minus the wheat) kind of remind me of a dunkel while yeast and hops are like an alt. Dunkalt?  ;)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 08:51:49 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 09:03:26 am »

2nd to Major's point about less Munich, more Pilsner malt.  Most 'authentic' Alts that I have experienced are surprisingly light. An all Munich and wheat grist may produce a "flabby" Alt in my estimation. 
Had the opportunity to visit Dusseldorf last September and wander the Altstadt.  What a wonderful evening, what a wonderful style of beer. 
Have fun!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 09:07:43 am »
I don't think the all munich route is the way to go for a traditional Alt bier. The grist should be primarily pils malt.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 09:11:01 am »
I don't think the all munich route is the way to go for a traditional Alt bier. The grist should be primarily pils malt.
I wholeheartedly agree, I would go very little if any Munich and just a touch of very dark roast malt for color and some "spice" note.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 10:00:49 am »
Altbier has a variation from place to place in the Altstadt. Schumacher Alt at the brewery restaurant has a detectable Munich Malt character. Zum Uerige does not have a Munich malt character, but does have some malt. Bitterness levels vary all over, from medium to very bitter.

I wouldn't use 100 Munich for a Duesseldorf Alt, that would make it more like a Northern German Alt.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 10:36:04 am »
I wholeheartedly agree, I would go very little if any Munich and just a touch of very dark roast malt for color and some "spice" note.

Completely agree.  Zum Uerige, my favorite, uses no Munich at all.  I know I'm at least partially responsible for starting the "all Munich alt" thing years back, but I've learned better.  All Munich does make a very tasty kinda alt, but if the OP wants to go trad it's not the way to go.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 01:14:30 pm »
Denny's Zum Uerige recipe is the closest one I ever brewed that tastes like the real McCoy.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 02:29:01 pm »
Interesting I didn't even think about that. So in that instance I would mash in at 143F decoction to raise temp to 158F then decoction to mash out?

Yep.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.