Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Flooding in the NW  (Read 2437 times)

RPIScotty

Flooding in the NW
« on: December 10, 2015, 06:27:35 am »
Caught this news this morning about some massive flooding in the Pacific Northwest. Everybody alright up there?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Flooding in the NW
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 06:34:18 am »
Hi and dry here

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 07:55:22 am »
Yup.  Soggy but good.  I noticed on my way home yesterday that the Yakima river was maybe 2-3 feet from flooding Hwy 82.  Today should be the high point for that.

Last year it was the lack of rain.  It's either one way or the other.  The professional hand-wringers in the media are pretty good about getting breathless over things on a slow news day.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 09:16:37 am »
Yup.  Soggy but good.  I noticed on my way home yesterday that the Yakima river was maybe 2-3 feet from flooding Hwy 82.  Today should be the high point for that.

Last year it was the lack of rain.  It's either one way or the other.  The professional hand-wringers in the media are pretty good about getting breathless over things on a slow news day.

Areas around Portland and SE Washington in the I-5 corridor have been getting hammered pretty hard here for the past week. Most flooded areas have receded fairly quickly but the damage is done.  One woman was killed in Portland by a falling tree yesterday during high winds. Rivers are raging and many state highways are closed in stretches due to landslides and washouts.

My family and I have made it to work and home with minor inconvenience. The yeast don't seem to notice.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 10:35:30 am »
I'm in the Northwest corner of Washington, and it's been pretty darn wet.  The creek on our property is as high as I've ever seen it.  And we've had a couple big fir trees come down.  Now, I am bucking them up, and splitting.  So far, we have about 4 cords, and not even half way done.   The brewery building is also heated by firewood, so it's good to have a good supply.  No damage to anything, other than some tracks from skidding the trees out of the woods.   

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 10:37:18 am »
It's been very wet and windy here with lots of power outages, but nothing like farther north, like in Portland.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 12:13:39 pm »
60 miles south of Eugene and we are now just starting to see the really heavy rains. Until last night, everything seemed to be North of us. It came down buckets last night with very high winds. Douglas County has just issued some possible flood warnings as the rain here is to continue thru most of next week. Gonna be a soup making, baking kind of week for me and maybe a smaller brew that I can do indoors.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

RPIScotty

Flooding in the NW
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 12:48:06 pm »
I know a ton of you reside in the NW and I wasn't sure which ones were from where.

Stay dry and stay safe everyone.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 12:53:06 pm »
A buddy in Seattle says it has been pretty rough up there.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 02:24:26 pm »
The part of Vancouver where I live is somewhat elevated and all the rain runs down hill to the river.
Three hours ago there were a couple of peals of thunder. And a mini tornado hit just NE of us in Battleground about the same time.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 02:30:32 pm »
The part of Vancouver where I live is somewhat elevated and all the rain runs down hill to the river.
Three hours ago there were a couple of peals of thunder. And a mini tornado hit just NE of us in Battleground about the same time.

Tornado?!? Zoiks! I better call Mom, she lives just outside of Battleground.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 04:50:24 pm »
Go Tigers! '81

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 12:17:32 am »
We've had some flooding in my area.  My daughter's been out of school for the last two days due to flooding on Wed and then power outages today.   Lots of wind and rain, branches down all over.  There was a mud slide over I-5 and even a Tornado touched down (both a couple hours from me).

All in all, pretty typical December weather, actually.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 12:13:54 pm »
Go Tigers! '81
81 Tigers and a Tornado!!!!!?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 04:33:57 pm »

Tornado?!? Zoiks! I better call Mom, she lives just outside of Battleground.

Not to worry, the video showed a piss poor example of a tornado that dissipated pretty quickly with no more damage than a moderate non tornado wind gust. Although from the news coverage on the local stations you'd think that it was a world class disaster.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women