Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carboy headspace size  (Read 2455 times)

Offline NeverTooBitter

• 1st Kit
Carboy headspace size
« on: December 10, 2015, 10:59:55 am »
I'm going to be doing some small batch brewing (1 gallon) to refine some recipes.  So I recently picked up some 1 gallon glass carboys.  Upon filling them to measure where 1 gallon of liquid fills to, I noticed there is not much space left for CO2.

https://goo.gl/photos/T6et1bwxx5osxm656

As you can see, there is a small amount of space left.  This measures to approximately 1 cup of liquid.  sorry for the link.  I'm having issues embedding the image here.

My questions are:

Is this enough space for fermentation?  I'm assuming not.  If not, would using a blow off tube make it work? 

How much space should there be left?

Any input/suggestions here would be appreciated.
“I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Carboy headspace size
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 11:08:01 am »
I'd say your fine with a blowoff.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 11:10:50 am »
It might work okay.  It depends on the yeast and fermentation temp.  If you are using vigorous strain and fermenting warm you will need deal with a lot of blow off.

The neck is quite long so you may gain a bit there.  Fermenting on the lower end of the temp range and keeping your OG low could keep most of the krausen in the jug.

That's an awful lot of "it depends" type answers but all I've got today.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 11:11:04 am »
I recently used a 1G carboy (juice jug really) but only filled it to 0.85 gallons. This left enough headspace that most of my batches would survive without any blowoff, but any large krausen beer could still blowoff. I happened to have a large krausen that was threatening blowoff so I added an ounce of boiled water with 2 drops Fermcap-s to the carboy to keep the krausen at bay (worked very well).

The ideal size for 1 gallon batches would be a 1.25 gallon vessel.

Offline NeverTooBitter

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 12:50:24 pm »
It might work okay.  It depends on the yeast and fermentation temp.  If you are using vigorous strain and fermenting warm you will need deal with a lot of blow off.

The neck is quite long so you may gain a bit there.  Fermenting on the lower end of the temp range and keeping your OG low could keep most of the krausen in the jug.

I'm planning on doing a brown ale with an OG of 1.054 and an IPA with an OG of 1.074.  The room I will be fermenting in rarely gets above 65-67 degrees.
“I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 12:53:11 pm »
You could always use a little Fermcap too
Jeff B

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 01:57:17 pm »
What I do when brewing one gallon batches is for the first couple days after brewing when its in the most active part of fermentation use a blow off tube into a bowl of sanitizer. Then once it slows down I put a airlock on there and let it finish out and I have never had problem.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout