Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: kegerator scare  (Read 1823 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
kegerator scare
« on: December 10, 2015, 04:47:25 pm »
Had my Sanyo Kegerator since i Left active duty in 1998. Poured a pint a thought it a tad warmer-adjusted thermostat colder and nothing. all the way cold and nothing. 

looked inside and saw ice build up...it had coated the thermostat probe....wheww. forgot all about that happening in past.

Old Faithful lives on to serve beer for another 15+ years hopefully  ;D
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: kegerator scare
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 05:14:31 pm »
Good to hear, man. I had to replace one of my kegerators earlier this year. Hoping for smooth sailing in that area now.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 05:27:36 pm »
Figure after about 17years I'm living on borrowed time, but glad it's still chilling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 05:30:08 pm »
You've had great luck with that thing. Who knows, maybe it'll be like the old Civic a buddy of mine put ~ 400K miles on. Drive on !
Jon H.

Offline PrettyBeard

• Cellarman
  • A short sturdy creature fond of drink and industry
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 05:56:55 pm »
You've had great luck with that thing. Who knows, maybe it'll be like the old Civic a buddy of mine put ~ 400K miles on. Drive on !

Are you changing the oil every 3000 miles?

But seriously, it's usually the seals on refrigeration systems.  Failing that, the pump or motor, both of which aren't that hard to rebuild.  But in either case if it isn't designed to be recharged you're kinda SooL.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 05:47:48 am »
Last year I retired my huge honkin 6 tap "keezer" and picked up a used commercial unit keggerator with three taps that can hold 3 sixtels. Got it home and the compressor was blown, which sucked. Got the guy you sold it to me to go in on the compressor with me (he paid 2/3rds) and am pretty pleased. The nice thing about the commercial units is that you can just replace the compressor rather than the whole keggerator. Hopefully I won't have to do that for quite some time though!

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 05:52:26 am »
That is a nice feature.  Hope the freezer I"m getting lasts as long.  I've been using a fridge and I'm sick of moving kegs around.  You know the ones in the back blow first. 
Jeff B

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 06:34:39 am »
I've certainly got my money's worth considering it cost me around $400 IIRC. i will probably start looking at getting another and run both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 07:58:14 am »
That is a nice feature.  Hope the freezer I"m getting lasts as long.  I've been using a fridge and I'm sick of moving kegs around.  You know the ones in the back blow first. 
I was thinking about switching to a refrigerator setup once my freezer dies in who knows how long. Seems like the benefits outweigh that: no need for temp controller, freezer for hops, takes up less floor space...I'm sure there are more. Don't know though, I probably won't have to make a decision on that for a long time as I've only had my freezer for about 3 years now.
Jesse

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 09:18:13 am »
It is nice not having to use any controller.  I made a pedestal to raise the fried a foot.  Only way I would do a refrigerator again would be if it had a bottom freezer.  I could see using that and being happy.  I just need something that holds more than 5 kegs.  I'd like to have 5 on tap, and room for a couple to carb in waiting.   
Jeff B

Online Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 09:28:07 am »
Must be the week for kegerator problems.  Assuming my new temp controller arrives today... I'll be rewiring tonight and drinking a cold beer tomorrow night.

Pulled the old Ranco off last night and put a plug back on the factory cord in preparation.

I don't know if I will get 14 years out of my "Lowes special" freezer but it has been going strong for 6 or 7 years now.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 11:56:31 am »
It is nice not having to use any controller.  I made a pedestal to raise the fried a foot.  Only way I would do a refrigerator again would be if it had a bottom freezer.  I could see using that and being happy.  I just need something that holds more than 5 kegs.  I'd like to have 5 on tap, and room for a couple to carb in waiting.   
I always thought a bottom freezer fridge would be perfect. I might get one of those one day. Hard to find used and they're rather pricey new. But some refrigerators will fit 6 kegs if you do it right. Or get smaller kegs and stack them.
Ideally, I'd have twice as many spots for kegs as I have taps. So, that's another thing that makes me undecided as to what I'd get next. Fortunately, I likely won't have to decide for some years yet.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 11:58:25 am by beersk »
Jesse