Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Advice for yeast and honey amounts for mead  (Read 2377 times)

Offline yeastmaster

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cabin Brew
    • Saccharomyces Safari
Advice for yeast and honey amounts for mead
« on: December 10, 2015, 02:48:07 pm »
I am planning on making two 5 gallon batches of mead sometime in the near future.  I'd like to try two different yeasts.  I believe last time I did a mead I used 12# honey and D47 yeast and it came out very dry.  This time I would like to have a sweet and a semi-sweet or dry mead.  Does anyone have any recommendations for yeasts  and honey amounts (I have a large supply right now).  The last time I made a sweet mead I used Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead and it came out overly sweet (can't remember how much honey I used and it may have fermented cold), is that typically a problem with this yeast?

Thanks

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Advice for yeast and honey amounts for mead
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 03:25:32 pm »
I've used Lalvin 71B on meads which can ferment dry. I just back-sweeten until it tastes good. I use around 3 lb/gal of honey.
Dan Chisholm

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Advice for yeast and honey amounts for mead
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 06:02:53 am »
Without doing things like sorbate/sulfite and or back sweetening you need to use more like 15+ pounds of honey in a 5 gallon batch, assuming no other fermentables. That gets you in the 13% + range. I think you will find that d47 is a good yeast for traditional mead and will produce a semi dry mead at 12-13% and a sweet mead at 14-15% and up. I'm talking potential alcohol, not ABV. Under about 12% PA just about any wine yeast will finish dry. Btw I use the potential alcohol scale on the hydrometer when making mead because its more useful than specific gravity when making must.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.