Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sharing beers at the NHC  (Read 8710 times)

Offline adruma

• 1st Kit
Re: Sharing beers at the NHC
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 05:52:22 pm »
After many years of my asking clubs to have at least one beer of session strength (I recognize that we're trying to show off our biggest and baddest beers), the Ann Arbor Brewers Guild (AABG) has decided to present a session beer themed club night.  So please stop by our British Pub at club night and take a break from the liver-busting (albeit tasty) beers and relax.  I think we have about a dozen tasty but low alcohol beers.

One beer that we are presenting is my "April 7, 1933," a 3.2% abw (4.0% abv) Classic American Pilsner.

Here is my "point-of-sale" description"

"In March, 1933, just after FDR and the new congress took office, Congress passed the Cullen-Harrison Act, amending the Volstead Act, and raising the definition of "intoxicating liquor" under the 18th Amendment from 0.5% abw to 3.2% abw (4.0% abv).  The act went into effect on April 7, 1933; breweries shipped at midnight and taverns opened at that hour.  After 13 years, thirsty Americans at last could have a beer.

"This is that beer."
I really enjoyed your club's booth. It was a very nice break in the middle of a lot of big beers on club night. Unfortunately, I didn't get to try all of them at your booth, but the ones I sampled were great!

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 05:52:46 am »
It was quite nice this year to have more session beers.  When you're drinking for three or four solid days (way past my normal bed-time) Imperial IPA's just don't go down easy.  Jeff's session CAP was quite nice and a great number of cask milds seemed to be available.  I think the overall quality of the homebrews this year was exceptional.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 07:31:14 am »
Jeff's CAP was very good and Iiked it a lot. I actually stayed away from many of the strong beers at club night in favor of the lighter ones.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 08:00:56 am »
The amount of session beers that clubs brought this year was up in general at club night.  Most clubs looked to have at least one, in my unscientific survey. 

Jeff Renner's 3.2 CAP was the first to blow at our booth.  The 3 gallon keg of Mild on a hand pump was second.  My keg of a 4% Saison was pretty light.  It can be stated that there is a place for session beers at club night.

Kai had a bottle of doppelbock that was fantastic.  My wife usually doen't drink those, but she said "Wow!".  Good job on that beer Kai.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

boulderbrewer

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 08:09:33 am »
Jeff's Cap was very good and the session beers by the club was a nice change and the ones I tried were very good. My highlight was Fred's 17.4 ABV Imperial barley wine. Thanks to Fred for sharing a bit with me seeing that he had very little and he hardly knew me.

Kai, thank you for sharing your samples it was interesting to taste the same beers with different techniques. It was amazing that we all guessed correctly on each sample. ;)  Oh and that Doppelbock yum!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 10:40:28 am »
Kai had a bottle of doppelbock that was fantastic.  My wife usually doen't drink those, but she said "Wow!".  Good job on that beer Kai.

Absolutely.  That beer had what we think of as the elusive "German character" that so many of us just can't achieve.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 10:42:12 am »

Absolutely.  That beer had what we think of as the elusive "German character" that so many of us just can't achieve.

Is Kai going to hold out on us. I have been trying to pinpoint and target that character. Let's ask him for the recipe.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2010, 10:44:07 am »
Is Kai going to hold out on us. I have been trying to pinpoint and target that character. Let's ask him for the recipe.

To tell you the truth, I don't think it was in the recipe.  I'm kinda hazy on that night (imagine that!), but IIRC he said it was an older beer.  So, it's either by chance or technique!  Boulder, do you recall?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

boulderbrewer

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2010, 11:08:00 am »
I don't recall Kai mentioning the age, but I bet the recipe is at his website.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2010, 11:14:16 am »

hey boulder...Did your beer medal at the finals?
Ron Price

Offline matt

• 1st Kit
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2010, 11:24:40 am »
After many years of my asking clubs to have at least one beer of session strength (I recognize that we're trying to show off our biggest and baddest beers), the Ann Arbor Brewers Guild (AABG) has decided to present a session beer themed club night.  So please stop by our British Pub at club night and take a break from the liver-busting (albeit tasty) beers and relax.  I think we have about a dozen tasty but low alcohol beers.

One beer that we are presenting is my "April 7, 1933," a 3.2% abw (4.0% abv) Classic American Pilsner.

Here is my "point-of-sale" description"

"In March, 1933, just after FDR and the new congress took office, Congress passed the Cullen-Harrison Act, amending the Volstead Act, and raising the definition of "intoxicating liquor" under the 18th Amendment from 0.5% abw to 3.2% abw (4.0% abv).  The act went into effect on April 7, 1933; breweries shipped at midnight and taverns opened at that hour.  After 13 years, thirsty Americans at last could have a beer.

"This is that beer."

Great beers at your pub! I liked the mild on cask. Thanks for showing me how to use the hand pump/engine.

boulderbrewer

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2010, 11:43:42 am »

Nope. I was ready, though. I had my LUSH shirt on.

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2010, 11:59:13 am »

Thanks. This recipe, when I say recipe I mean process and actual composition of ingredients, is one where I feel I achieved my objective for all my (German) beers: “When placed in a flight of the best German beers of that style (Doppelbock in this case) it doesn’t stand out as being different ”. Though I think I have to lower the sweetness next time I brew this.

I never brew a Doppelbock w/o decoction but I don’t think that the decoction causes this flavor. My Schwarzbiers can develop similar flavors with age and they aren’t generally brewed with a decoction. But to be save you would have to use a decoction.

Key is the aging process after the lagering. From the :

After lagering rack the beer to a serving keg or bottle and age at cellar temperatures ( 10 C / 50 F) for another 2-3 months. During that time most of the dark fruit notes will be formed by reactions between the alcohols (especially the higher alcohols) and acids in the beer. Some oxidation processes contribute to that as well. Since it is a chemical process, it works better at higher temperatures. Hence the suggestion to lager only for 2-3 months and then take it off the yeast completely and age for another 2-3 months. When I brewed this beer last, I happened to bottle some of it from the lagering keg. These bottles were stored at 10C (50F) and developed the dark fruit notes quicker than the beer that was still kept at lagering temps. Lagering should still be done in order to precipitate haze and yeast.

Babalu recently tried this and thanked me for the tip. The other important thing is to start out with a clean ferment that doesn’t leave too much high alcohols or residual sweetness. I believe a good grist uses 10-20% Pils malt as enzymatic boost, 3-5% specialty malts and the rest being a dark Munich malt. I have used Weyermann Munich II and Best Dark Munich with success. It’s the mix of specialty malts that I generally play with when changing the recipe. They are a mix of crystal and roasted malts. 1-2% of carafa special works well as part of the specialty malts if you want to get some hint of roast like you get in Ayinger’s Celebrator. That beer is a bit sweet for my taste but has a fantastic malt profile.

Fred and I talked about aging beers and he believes being sloppy and allow some more than usual O2 pick-up during transfer/bottling helps big beers. I think he is onto something with this. I too think that some of the desirable flavors and aromas in big dark beers are staling compounds that come from oxidations.

Kai

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2010, 12:20:25 pm »
Fred and I talked about aging beers and he believes being sloppy and allow some more than usual O2 pick-up during transfer/bottling helps big beers. I think he is onto something with this. I too think that some of the desirable flavors and aromas in big dark beers are staling compounds that come from oxidations.

Kai

Sounds like you guys may be on to something here.

Similiar to the aging of wine, where the oxidation of the wine is the mechanism that allows for the complexity of the wine.
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2010, 12:38:29 pm »

Nope. I was ready, though. I had my LUSH shirt on.

Well unfortunately I wasn't there, but I did win the Silver Medal for my English Pale Ale. I did watch the live podcast as Janis called my name. I was so excited I could barely sleep all night.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 07:01:34 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price