Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Florida  (Read 3945 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Florida
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 05:53:01 pm »
Jeffy sent me Green Bench Sauvage and I have been saving it for a special occasion.  But maybe the holidays will present just such an opportunity with the family (some beer snobs among them).

I believe it is an outstanding beer - Brett with white wine must.  Knowing what I know about JEFF, my guess is ...merely fantastic for my flavor preferences.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 06:50:34 am »
Definitely get Tocobaga and Jai Alai.  The former is my favorite of theirs, the latter I'm not that much a fan but everyone else is.  Based on what I've read as to your preferences, I think you'll like them.
Man, I'm glad there is someone else out there that feels this way.  Every time I say I don't care for it, people look at me like I'm the village leper.  I get the same reaction with Bell's Two Hearted too.

I miss the Naples area...we used to visit my FIL would lives in Estero.  Great rib place (Michelbob's) down there and of course the Bubbleroom out on Captiva/Sanibel.  There never seemed to be a great craft beer scene, but then I haven't been back in a few years.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2015, 07:10:49 am »
Man, I'm glad there is someone else out there that feels this way.  Every time I say I don't care for it, people look at me like I'm the village leper.  I get the same reaction with Bell's Two Hearted too.

Count me in, too. I don't hate either, but I'm pretty lukewarm on both.
Jon H.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2015, 07:13:59 am »
Definitely get Tocobaga and Jai Alai.  The former is my favorite of theirs, the latter I'm not that much a fan but everyone else is.  Based on what I've read as to your preferences, I think you'll like them.

I miss the Naples area...we used to visit my FIL would lives in Estero.  Great rib place (Michelbob's) down there and of course the Bubbleroom out on Captiva/Sanibel.  There never seemed to be a great craft beer scene, but then I haven't been back in a few years.

I don't know about the Jai Alai beers, but I do think that Bell's Two Hearted is very affected by age. It's a very fine beer when fresh, but it goes downhill quickly.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2015, 09:55:59 am »

I don't know about the Jai Alai beers, but I do think that Bell's Two Hearted is very affected by age. It's a very fine beer when fresh, but it goes downhill quickly.
I am fortunate to get fresh Two Hearted!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2015, 10:39:57 am »

there has been a few times I've had super fresh Jai Alai on tap at the brewery and was pretty impressed.  I feel it was much better way back when, before they expanded.  Its kind of a joke for me, sometimes, the only decent offering at a restaurant or bar is Jai alai and I get it, yet my girlfriend will always say "I thought you were done with trying that one"  I keep trying to like it.

I agree with you on 2HA - I had it once, less than a week old, chatting it up with Larry himself and it was definitely an incredible beer.  That one degrades pretty quick.  But I'd take it over JA any day. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2015, 11:09:10 am »

Both are very age sensitive and fall off relatively quickly.  Two Hearted also has its detractors among people who don't like Centennial.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2015, 11:17:49 am »
And actually I love Centennial. It's just that the THA I often get is just old enough that the late hop character has dropped off noticeably, leaving the beer seeming sweeter than it would otherwise. Pretty much can't drink sweet IPA. I will say that the times I've gotten it super fresh I really enjoyed it.
Jon H.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2015, 11:21:52 am »
I think that Jai Alai is a bit high on malt sweetness and don't generally chose it if there are drier IPA's to pick from.  On the other hand, white oak aged jai alai is fantastic.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2015, 01:47:47 pm »
If you can find some Pensacola Bay amber or porter, they are solid.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2015, 02:16:48 pm »
And actually I love Centennial.

Didn't mean to imply you didn't.  I'm referring more to people that I know that don't like Centennial.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2015, 04:10:17 pm »

there has been a few times I've had super fresh Jai Alai on tap at the brewery and was pretty impressed.  I feel it was much better way back when, before they expanded.  Its kind of a joke for me, sometimes, the only decent offering at a restaurant or bar is Jai alai and I get it, yet my girlfriend will always say "I thought you were done with trying that one"  I keep trying to like it.

I agree with you on 2HA - I had it once, less than a week old, chatting it up with Larry himself and it was definitely an incredible beer.  That one degrades pretty quick.  But I'd take it over JA any day.

I do not like Jai Alai.  It didn't help when I tried it again and they were all gushers.  Waste of cash on a beer I didn't like.  Cigar City beers have fallen for sure with their expansion.  THA is another that I never seem to get fresh.  That beer aged is even worse than Jai Alai.  I do like THA fresh, just never can find it fresh.
Jeff B

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2015, 07:29:24 am »
Also the St. Petersburg Brewing Co., Green Bench in St. Pete, and a relatively new one in Madiera Beach (Mad Beach Brewing Co.) (they had an interesting Agave Wheat that was pretty tasty).
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2015, 08:44:25 am »
Also the St. Petersburg Brewing Co., Green Bench in St. Pete, and a relatively new one in Madiera Beach (Mad Beach Brewing Co.) (they had an interesting Agave Wheat that was pretty tasty).
Green Bench on the list for sure. I'll be mostly interested in sour beers, just to see what they're doing down there.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2015, 09:24:14 am »
St. Somewhere is out of the Tampa area and brews a variety of Belgian-inspired beers, mostly in the saison vein. They are mixed fermentations but not sour. Probably harder to find than Jai Alai but should not be impossible. I found it in Kansas City so it should not be that hard to find on home turf.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing