Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PB2 in Bottling Bucket?  (Read 2107 times)

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
    • My new Brewing Website - Totally Brewed Co
PB2 in Bottling Bucket?
« on: February 21, 2016, 10:51:49 am »
So I made a Peanut Butter Cup brown ale.  I used PB2 in the last few minutes of the boil (cacao nibs in secondary).  When I made the transfer from the primary to the secondary, the pb2 that didnt dissolve settled to the bottom of the fermenter. The taste going from primary to secondary was exactly what I hoped for. However, Im going to bottle this today and the taste isnt as Peanut buttery as I was hoping.   Is it safe to dissolve more PB2 into the bottling bucket, then add my corn sugar as normal and then transfer the secondary into the bottling bucket.  Is this safe to do or is it a bad idea because the PB2 plus the corn sugar might overcarb the beer from too much sugar?  Or should I just be happy with how it came out and just add the corn sugar to the bottling bucket and then transfer the beer?  Thanks in advance for the help.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: PB2 in Bottling Bucket?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 11:14:59 am »
As this is your first go round, I would just let it ride and add your priming sugar and finished beer into the bottling bucket and package it up.  Next time you brew this, take your notes from this first batch, and increase the amount of PB2 to get your desired effect.

The only reason I say this is because if the PB2 didn't dissolve fully in the kettle and fermentation, then it definitely won't dissolve well in your bottling bucket which could potentially ruin what you have already worked so hard to create.

BTW, let us know how this one turns out. A buddy of mine used that PB2 in the past for a beer like yours and came it out pretty interesting. Not much head retention though...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 11:15:18 am »
Is there sugar in PB2?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 12:10:13 pm »
Is there sugar in PB2?
1g of sugars per 2 tablespoons. Definitely need to consider that when priming.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 12:14:25 pm »
I contacted the manufacturer after I made the beer. They told me that its better to use a little warm water and add it to a blender. Then blend for 5 minutes or until smooth because it will fully dissolve.  So I was going to do that and then add that to the bottling bucket.   However, I was unsure how to figure out the priming sugar needed.   

So I think I will just ride it out and next time I use PB2, Id blend it smooth and add it into fermenter. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 12:33:08 pm by golfgod04 »

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 08:17:05 pm »
so I bottled it. I tasted it and was surprised that the peanut butter flavor was there. Im very happy with how it came out and glad I didnt add more.  Thanks for the input!

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 02:45:18 pm »

I bottled this a week ago but wanted to sample.  came out well, starts off nutty and peanut buttery and finishes with a little chocolate. Im happy with it