Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Galatin fining  (Read 5018 times)

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Re: Galatin fining
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2015, 09:40:26 pm »
For a while I've been fining with gelatin to drop the yeast out first, then dry hopping. I feel that it gives the dry hop character a longer life since there is much less yeast to bind hop oils to (then settle out). I agree that fining after dry hopping causes a noticeable drop off in hop aromas and character.

Great idea, thanks I'll try it
Jeff B

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2015, 08:48:46 am »
For a while I've been fining with gelatin to drop the yeast out first, then dry hopping. I feel that it gives the dry hop character a longer life since there is much less yeast to bind hop oils to (then settle out). I agree that fining after dry hopping causes a noticeable drop off in hop aromas and character.

^^^This is what I have found works best for me as well.

Offline JayMiranda

• Cellarman
    • CaliforniaCastaway
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 04:20:38 am »
This is the procedure I use. It's easy and foolproof :

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/06/how-to-clear-your-beer-with-gelatin.html

Glad  I came across this. Definetly gonna try this. THANKS
JayMiranda
CaliforniaCastaway

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 07:01:08 am »
I used gelatin again last night on an Amber Ale in the fermenter that has been cold crashing. I have used it in the past with mixed results. Using the procedure in the link posted above Im hoping to see some better results. You guys make you beers look so nice in the forum pictueres it made me want to try it again. I added it to the fermenter becaise this is actually going into a friends kegerator. So I wanted to have clear and ready beer to transfer to the fermenter and start carbonating it to have ready to hand off.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2016, 05:48:32 am »
On Friday night I added gelatin to a Kolsch that I had in the keg for a week.  I added it, purged the keg, and just tilted it around twice.  The yeast is Giga 021, and doesn't clear easily.  After about a pint, the beer is crystal clear. 
Jeff B

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2016, 05:13:47 pm »
Has anyone added gelatin to a finished beer down the road. As in after it's kegged, carbonated and somewhat conditioned? Not for clarity, maybe for better flavor. I have heard gelatin can also pull out other things besides yeast that may help improve flavor. Just a thought.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2016, 05:22:03 pm »
Has anyone added gelatin to a finished beer down the road. As in after it's kegged, carbonated and somewhat conditioned? Not for clarity, maybe for better flavor. I have heard gelatin can also pull out other things besides yeast that may help improve flavor. Just a thought.

I've added gelatin to kegged beer many times. No worries.
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Galatin fining
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2016, 05:44:35 pm »

I've added gelatin to kegged beer many times. No worries.
But, regarding pulling out other flavors, I would say all gelatin does is get the yeast flavors (and anything else removed by the gelatin) out of the way which may let other flavors come through.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2016, 06:00:15 pm »
But, regarding pulling out other flavors, I would say all gelatin does is get the yeast flavors (and anything else removed by the gelatin) out of the way which may let other flavors come through.

I agree - I focused on using it on kegged beer but overlooked the second part. Gelatin can be counted on to drop yeast, sediment, hop particles that muddy up the flavor. So in that sense, it does improve flavor (as does just cold crashing).
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2016, 06:11:47 pm »

I agree - I focused on using it on kegged beer but overlooked the second part. Gelatin can be counted on to drop yeast, sediment, hop particles that muddy up the flavor. So in that sense, it does improve flavor (as does just cold crashing).
I got your back!

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2016, 06:21:23 pm »
Old thread but I had it saved to come to.  I've never used gelatin, but figured I'd try it on this rather tasty German Pils I have in the basement.  It is uncarbed, sitting at 32° in the keg.  Reading the article, it looks like the gelatin/water mixture goes in the keg hot, is that right?  Hot fining agent, cold beer?  Or do you cool the gelatin first? I definitely want to avoid screwing this up!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2016, 06:41:07 pm »
Old thread but I had it saved to come to.  I've never used gelatin, but figured I'd try it on this rather tasty German Pils I have in the basement.  It is uncarbed, sitting at 32° in the keg.  Reading the article, it looks like the gelatin/water mixture goes in the keg hot, is that right?  Hot fining agent, cold beer?  Or do you cool the gelatin first? I definitely want to avoid screwing this up!

I put the hot mixture in the bottom of the keg and rack cold beer on top. Works great.
Jon H.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2016, 09:28:31 pm »
Thanks Jon.  Since it was already kegged I dumped it right into the keg.  Gas is hooked up now. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2016, 05:43:12 am »
Thanks Jon.  Since it was already kegged I dumped it right into the keg.  Gas is hooked up now. 

I've done that too in a pinch, gently stirring a few times. Worked fine. No worries.
Jon H.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2016, 01:04:40 pm »
...seems like every IPA coming out today is cloudy by design

I don't know if it's really by design or just bad technique that they don't bother fixing, just don't want to, or figure that they needn't bother  because people will buy it anyway.

AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971