Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Riwaka???  (Read 2248 times)

Offline TexasHumuluslupulushead

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
Riwaka???
« on: December 08, 2015, 07:45:32 am »
Im brewing an AIPA for comp and was curious if anyone has used and can give me any tasting notes on Riwaka.  I  typically dont brew blind for a comp but didnt want to enter the citra,mosaic, galaxy IPA I have been entering.

Grain bill is simple, 92% 2row, 4% c40, 4% carapils.  FWH with warrior for aporox 60 IBU then all whirlpool additions of galaxy and Riwaka. dryhopped with galaxy

Goal is a juicy, citrus/passion fruit bomb.

Any input would be great

Thanks
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.    -- Dean Martin

Offline neddles

• Brewer
Re: Riwaka???
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 11:54:14 am »
I believe it is supposed to be very pleasantly grapefruity, less piney than simcoe, more fruity. I have not used it because I cannot find it. Where did you source the Riwaka?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 09:25:04 pm »
To me, it was primarily Cascade-esque white grapefruit. I got a faint, weird savory note from it as well - not quite garlic/onion, but maybe approaching it just a tad. Honestly, I wasn't that impressed when I tried it. It wasn't bad, but there was nothing that stood out as all that interesting, either. But weather/growing/harvest conditions all make a difference in hop character, so hopefully your Riwaka is better than the ones I had.

All that said, Riwaka + Galaxy definitely has potential for the citrus/passionfruit bomb you're shooting for.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 07:53:29 pm »
To me, it was primarily Cascade-esque white grapefruit. I got a faint, weird savory note from it as well - not quite garlic/onion, but maybe approaching it just a tad. Honestly, I wasn't that impressed when I tried it. It wasn't bad, but there was nothing that stood out as all that interesting, either. But weather/growing/harvest conditions all make a difference in hop character, so hopefully your Riwaka is better than the ones I had.

All that said, Riwaka + Galaxy definitely has potential for the citrus/passionfruit bomb you're shooting for.

That is interesting to hear. I used it a couple of times a few years ago, and loved it. Nice and fruity. Supercascade comes to mind. No savory at all. I would love to get my hands on more of it, as I have not seen it since I used it.
Kyle M.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 08:58:22 pm »
Where did you source the Riwaka?

Bump.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 04:16:17 pm »
Im brewing an AIPA for comp and was curious if anyone has used and can give me any tasting notes on Riwaka.  I  typically dont brew blind for a comp but didnt want to enter the citra,mosaic, galaxy IPA I have been entering.

Grain bill is simple, 92% 2row, 4% c40, 4% carapils.  FWH with warrior for aporox 60 IBU then all whirlpool additions of galaxy and Riwaka. dryhopped with galaxy

Goal is a juicy, citrus/passion fruit bomb.

Any input would be great

Thanks

No input on Riwaka, but that sounds like a delicious beer.  I have been enjoying these types lately!

Offline TexasHumuluslupulushead

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 08:54:52 pm »
http://www.brewshop.co.nz/hops-riwaka.html

$9.95 for 100g(3.5oz)

Thanks for the imput
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.    -- Dean Martin

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 09:02:59 pm »