Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Shipping Unshippables  (Read 3183 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Shipping Unshippables
« on: December 12, 2015, 01:22:01 pm »
Which is better currently for shipping things which might not exactly meet policy, FedEx or UPS? Things like yeast samples which may have been legally distilled?
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

narvin

Re: Shipping Unshippables
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 01:35:47 pm »
I think it depends where you are.  I like UPS around here... FedEx broke my NHC entries one year.  Always prepay and print your own label.

Offline Jeffinn

• Cellarman
  • Roseville, MI
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 06:47:21 am »
UPS gets my vote as well.
“I’ve never been drunk, but often I’ve been overserved.”
~ George Gobel

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 08:05:27 am »
I prefer Fed Ex, print label on line and drop off, never questioned, never had an issue. Proper packing is the key to successful shipping:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 09:30:22 am »
Whichever method you do, don't ship more than a 12 pack. I have never had issues with shipping at or under that amount. I tried to ship a case home for my dad and it broke. They ended up just keeping the good ones and shipping them in a bag. That was UPS. But like others have said, prepay and print the shipping label.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 11:01:38 am »
For me, FedEx has been more reliable at not breaking things than UPS.  We get deliveries from both on a daily basis and UPS is much more common to see a box that looks like it fell off the truck and then they backed up over it.  Just for general reference (not that you asked), my rules of thumb for both though are:

1) Get an account and pre-print your own labels.  No questions asked that way in my experience.  I usually put a reference blurb about "kitchen supplies", "barbeque supplies", or "snowglobes" in case the question ever does come up.
2) Don't overpack.  By that, I mean keep the weight and box size manageable.  Much like overweight luggage on a plane, heavy and/or awkward boxes are never treated kindly by delivery persons.
3) Bag everything.  I don't want anything to leak even if it breaks.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 11:55:05 am »
I think the consensus is pre pay and print label. Those drivers are in a hurry and look good the faster they get their route done, so their not asking questions.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 01:22:40 pm »
I think the consensus is pre pay and print label. Those drivers are in a hurry and look good the faster they get their route done, so their not asking questions.

It's more than just how fast they get done.  They are dinged if they backup too far at any given time too, as well as going around a block more than once, even if it makes sense to do so.  I know a guy who got written up every week for 3 months for backing up over 15' at the same stop everyday.  He finally had to drag his district supervisor out on his route to show him the delivery site had a 65' delivery dock approach that you either drive into and back out or back into and drive out.  Even then they refused to remove the write-ups from his record.  There is a reason those folks aren't as friendly as they used to be.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Ancient Abbey

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 09:43:09 am »
Is the 'yeast samples' claim still valid?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 10:15:39 am »
Is there yeast in it?

I've got my UPS guy trained. I used the UPS drop off site at our local parts store. Shipped three boxes. Todays dialog went like this.

What's in the boxes?

Um...

I'll just put down gifts

Works for mr

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 10:15:47 am »
Is there yeast in it?

I've got my UPS guy trained. I used the UPS drop off site at our local parts store. Shipped three boxes. Todays dialog went like this.

What's in the boxes?

Um...

I'll just put down gifts

Works for me

narvin

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 09:04:45 am »
When I print the label online, they don't ask and I don't offer a description.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Shipping Unshippables
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 09:16:12 am »
There is blurb in the current Zymurgy (in the AHA President's message) on this topic. Apparently, AHA is lobbying congress to make allowing mailing beer legal. The probability of success was not mentioned.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 10:16:16 am »
There is blurb in the current Zymurgy (in the AHA President's message) on this topic. Apparently, AHA is lobbying congress to make allowing mailing beer legal. The probability of success was not mentioned.

This was one of the main issues I ran on when I ran for Governing Committee 10 years ago.  The AHA/BA and their lobbyists have tried a number of approaches.  So far none of those has worked out but they continue to look for ways to get it done.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 05:54:40 am »
So sometime back we shipped the legally distilled yeast samples and to avoid questions I did it business to business with a preprinted shipping label. The bottles were in CT and I had him ship them to a business in NC. It was a pretty crappy job of packing, but the thick glass made it fine. I decided upon UPS and they didn't bat an eye at the package, probably because the two bottles fit into a shoe box sized container.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!