Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My Brew Day  (Read 4020 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: My Brew Day
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 03:52:42 pm »
My girlfriend wouldn't care if I was brewing in the living room as long as I'm making beer. We actually have 6 carboys of mead in secondary in our bedroom. Its romantic.

Aren't you the guy with the basement all prepared for the zombie apocalypse complete with 20 or so carboys aging?

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 04:01:56 pm »
My girlfriend wouldn't care if I was brewing in the living room as long as I'm making beer. We actually have 6 carboys of mead in secondary in our bedroom. Its romantic.

Aren't you the guy with the basement all prepared for the zombie apocalypse complete with 20 or so carboys aging?
Yep, those are in tertiary aging. Secondary happens upstairs for a few months.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 04:55:11 pm »
> We actually have 6 carboys of mead in secondary in our bedroom. Its romantic.

That should be your signature Pete!

Done.

Pretty funny. Well done.

Mic drop
Frank

Offline Jflo69rmnp

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 06:57:18 pm »
I'm not alone I see! The first time I boiled over my wife was not happy. She still lets me brew on the stove with my 1 gal brews.
My wife is OK with it.... She's tolerated my hobbies for the last 20 years! 'Course I make sure it's all cleaned up when I'm done... She appreciates that.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 11:51:56 pm »
My brew days are limited to when I have a day off while my wife is working. She can't stand the smell, with the exception of bottling days for my hoppy beers - that is the rare time when I get a "what smells so good in here?".

As a matter of fact, I'm working 3rd shift right now and my wife will be at work when I get home. I'm already trying to figure out how much sleep I can get by with to see if I can squeeze in a brewday.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

RPIScotty

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2015, 05:09:48 am »

My brew days are limited to when I have a day off while my wife is working. She can't stand the smell, with the exception of bottling days for my hoppy beers - that is the rare time when I get a "what smells so good in here?".

As a matter of fact, I'm working 3rd shift right now and my wife will be at work when I get home. I'm already trying to figure out how much sleep I can get by with to see if I can squeeze in a brewday.

I'm currently devising a plan using Waring Pro 1300W burners for a small batch basement brewery to mitigate this. It's the smell really. My wife doesn't really dig the smell but supports the hobby.

Ideally I'd stay in the kitchen because I do small batches but what can you do. Kids complicate the matter! Who can find the time with a 2 year old boy and a newborn? I'm trying.

Offline Red Rooster Brew

• 1st Kit
    • Drink Local Openers
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2015, 06:52:38 am »
I'll be brewing my first AG, a chocolate stout (maybe w/ cherries), this week and am looking forward to it. I have not brewed in 4 months as I have been building my stand and gathering equipment.

Looks as though things went well.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2015, 10:32:14 am »

I'm currently devising a plan using Waring Pro 1300W burners for a small batch basement brewery to mitigate this. It's the smell really. My wife doesn't really dig the smell but supports the hobby.

Ideally I'd stay in the kitchen because I do small batches but what can you do. Kids complicate the matter! Who can find the time with a 2 year old boy and a newborn? I'm trying.

I have a 16month old, a 2 1/2 year old, and a six year old and I have brewed on weekends with my wife at work and by myself with the kids... before breakfast, sanitize and prep,get all the hot liquor going, mash-in at the end of breakfast, sparge at lunch,  Nap time is the boiling/cool/transfer, store by the time they wake up from nap.  Anything starts to go crazy just go turn on the best baby sitting team ever! Frozen, Rise of the Guardians, and Wreck it Ralph!  That will keep my 3 going for a solid 5 hours... lol
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Jflo69rmnp

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2015, 11:31:59 am »
Got a few more points to go to reach FG. I'll be cold crashing probably in a day or two, then adding 2oz Centennial for some extra goodness...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

RPIScotty

My Brew Day
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2015, 11:32:14 am »

I have a 16month old, a 2 1/2 year old, and a six year old and I have brewed on weekends with my wife at work and by myself with the kids... before breakfast, sanitize and prep,get all the hot liquor going, mash-in at the end of breakfast, sparge at lunch,  Nap time is the boiling/cool/transfer, store by the time they wake up from nap.  Anything starts to go crazy just go turn on the best baby sitting team ever! Frozen, Rise of the Guardians, and Wreck it Ralph!  That will keep my 3 going for a solid 5 hours... lol

Sounds like that's works for you but is too complicated for my tastes.

I'm working on 45 minute mashing and short boils to get it down to less than 1.5 hours. That will allow me to do it when the kids go down for bed. That's when I have a few anyway.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 11:34:45 am by RPIScotty »

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2015, 07:27:40 am »

My wife likes the smell of boiling wort, especially when I'm making a beer with Saaz hops, but she cannot stand the taste of the beers with Saaz in them.  I voluntarily moved to the garage because our stove can barely handle maintaining a boil.  Blichmann burners solved that problem.

Offline Jflo69rmnp

• 1st Kit
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2015, 08:18:18 am »

Wow... I can barely handle the brewing when I have everything planned! Hats off to you!