Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hard Root Beer - Anyone have a recipe?  (Read 5981 times)

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Hard Root Beer - Anyone have a recipe?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 11:11:17 am »
Yes, forgot to mention, if you do keg a root beer you definitely will then have a designated keg and lines for that, essentially permanently. IME, even swapping out seals and such does not remove the root beer taste from the keg, same goes for the lines. Mine is on tap year round so it's not an issue but if you don't plan on doing that you will be swapping everything out for new.

As for the commercial ones out there, I know of Sprechers and Not your Father's Root Beer. Sprechers is meh, don't really know anyone that cares for it. The 10% Not Your Father's is usually what everyone tries to clone and what got me going on mine. There are serious rumors though that this version is not a 100% malt beverage as they claim and there are actually a few articles on this. They also supposedly have a 30% version with the same claim and it's really impossible that it's true. The 6 pack version is 5-6%, bought by Pabst now for distribution and I find it has a really weird aftertaste, not a fan but stores can't really keep it stocked. Curious to see how it continues to do or if it turns out to be a short lived fad.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 11:39:39 am »
Stores can't keep it stocked still? Over the last year friends constantly sent me articles regarding the hype, which I suspect to be manufactured, but I see it every time I'm at the store. I have a harder time finding SN Celebration than NYFRB.

Tried it once and that is all I need. I would likely get sick if I drank two.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 11:45:03 am »
Steve, i agree. the first sip is nice and reminiscent of drinking root beer as a youngster, but after that, forget about it. Its way too sweet to get much down and you are also correct about the odd aftertaste. I could not put my finger on it either, just know I did not like the flavor it left in my mouth. We bought a 6 pack for family vacation in FL back in October, and even with 8-10 drinkers around, there were still 3 left at the end of the week
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 12:09:52 pm »
Stores can't keep it stocked still? Over the last year friends constantly sent me articles regarding the hype, which I suspect to be manufactured, but I see it every time I'm at the store. I have a harder time finding SN Celebration than NYFRB.

Tried it once and that is all I need. I would likely get sick if I drank two.
The company is based in Waukonda, IL so for me its local in stores and several bars have the 10% on tap keeping it at the forefront but I know sales have slowed. I really think it'll prove to be a fad, not sure what Pabst paid , not sure it will prove to be worth it...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 12:24:12 pm »
I see NYFRB everywhere now, where 4 months ago you couldn't find it and when you did, you were limited to 2 bottles.  Maybe with SA jumping in with Coney Island, it alleviated some of the pressure.

I want to do it just to say I did it, but couldn't drink it all the time. If it comes out good, I'll probably make it again for our homebrewer's jamboree next summer.  Stuff like this (RB, lemonade, etc.) are big crowd pleasers.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2015, 12:33:38 pm »
So it sounds like the new national distribution has really ramped up.....or people are finding that they don't really like it as much as they thought;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk