Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Different pasturization methods??  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Adam Graves

• 1st Kit
Different pasturization methods??
« on: April 18, 2021, 10:32:06 pm »
I am brewing cider and have traditionally left them still because it's easier than carbonating. But I've decided to try carbonating in the bottle.
I've read a lot about people using the hot water method to kill of yeast and stop carbonation with some sweetness left. (I back-sweeten with apple juice concentrate + flavoring syrups I make from scratch).
Is it possible to use potassium metabisulfate and potassium sorbate instead?
For example, could I bottle the cider, let it sit a week (between 1 and 2 volume of carb) then put the sulfates in the bottles to stop the yeast from further carbonating? This seems like a safer method than heating the bottles.

Thanks!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Different pasturization methods??
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 11:37:00 pm »

the way i used to pasteurize sake was time intensive of putting the bottles in hot water until they read 140 or whatever
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 10:34:51 am by fredthecat »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 05:44:19 am »
How are you going to add the sorbate and bisulfate without knocking all the carbonation out of the bottles? Once you open the bottles you're going to lose some carbonation out of the headspace, and once you add anything to it you will likely get an explosion as a bunch more CO2 comes rushing out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 07:47:34 am »
Sorbate and metabisufite don't stop an ongoing fermentation so this will be tricky. You could bottle your cider with just enough sugar to achieve the desired carbonation.  Once the carbonation is achieved, refrigerate as cold as possible without freezing for several days to get yeast to drop out.  Add a solution of sugar/apple juice concentrate, sorbate and sulfite (no powders as that will release a lot of carbonation) and recrown bottle.

Added info: Ideally you add solution of sorbate and sulfite and then one day letter add sugar/apple juice concentrate so that the preservatives have time to take effect, but could be difficult to do all that in a bottle.

I think you would be better off making an apple juice syrup and add that to your glass before pouring the cider in. I'll let you google making syrups for Berliner weiss for ideas as to how you would go about making the syrup.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 08:10:23 am »
stop making cider and start making beer. imho its just way better.

the way i used to pasteurize sake was time intensive of putting the bottles in hot water until they read 140 or whatever

IMHO, you're wrong.  If somebody likes cider, they should make it.  If you don't like it, then don't make it. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 08:37:30 am »
You can try using metabisulfate and sorbate in that way, but I would be very cautious and start with a small sample size (like 1 bottle) as a test.  The addition of these two chemicals isn't intended to stop an active fermentation.  They are intended to prevent fermentation from restarting when additional sugars are introduced.  So you normally want to add the sorbate first, and backsweeten afterward.  Obviously this will prevent the carbonation you're trying to get.

My first recommendation for sweetened and carbonated cider would be to get a keg.  You can then make your cider how you want it, force carbonate, and bottle.  If you don't want to go that route, I would try pasteurization by raising the temperature (never tried that myself).  As mentioned, you can try an addition of adding metabisulfate and sorbate, then recapping the bottles.  But I would be skeptical of the reliability and consistency of this.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 10:35:27 am »
stop making cider and start making beer. imho its just way better.

IMHO, you're wrong.  If somebody likes cider, they should make it.  If you don't like it, then don't make it.

yup, that was my bad last night after a bunch of whiskey. corrected.

Offline Adam Graves

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 11:51:50 am »
I've decided to do a little experimentation following the advice from people above.

Here is my process:
1. Ferment the cider dry
2. Add priming sugar and bottle. Overshoot carbonation on purpose.
3. After carbonation is complete, open the bottle and toss in K-sorb and K-sulphate. Put in a fridge to help yeast come into contact with chemicals and maintain some carbonation.
4. Back-sweeten with apple juice concentrate. Leave it in room temp box for a month and see if it explodes  :)

I am hoping this will allow carbonation and the chemicals to prevent further carbonation after back-sweetening.

I'll report back what happens! Thanks to everyone for their advice!

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 11:55:08 am »
I've never tried this, and the pucker factor on pasteurizing closed bottles is pretty high.  But here are two articles from the internet.

https://beerandbrewing.com/experiment-home-pasteurization/

http://www.brewunited.com/index.php?blogid=80

The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.